I haven't done a meme in ages. (Apologies to bloggers who keep tagging me. Really I don't meant to be rude. I always make a note of the memes on little sticky notes, which then drift to the floor of my office and eventually get swept up and discarded.) Here's a simple meme I saw at Rev. Dr. Mom's, originally from the RevGalBlogPals website.
Five things I can't leave home without.
1. My contact lens stuff and glasses. Because otherwise, I can't see anything. This is my number one necessity.
2. My journal. I've kept a journal most of my life, and I almost always have one with me. I've got a whole shelf of old journals in my office. I like them lined, spiral-bound, and 6 by 9 inches, small enough to carry in a purse or backback. Of course, I always have a pen stuck in the spirals. I think it would be pretty frustrating to have a journal with me and not be able to write in it.
3. A fleece for when it gets cold, or to use as a pillow, if necessary. My fleece is bright red, so bloggers can spot me quickly when we meet up for the first time. I usually carry the fleece with me, so maybe it doesn't count as an item to be packed.
4. Dry socks. I hate having cold, wet feet. I can tolerate soaking wet sneakers, even, if I can just change my socks.
5. A toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. I keep them in ziploc bag so they count as just one item.
That's pretty much it. I could get along fine for a couple of weeks with just those items. Well, depending on the climate. If I was planning a winter-camping trip, a sleeping bag would take priority over a toothbrush. And any warm-weather trip would include a bathing suit. On a camping trip, a box of matches would be near the top of the list. If I'm staying in a city, I need a map and an ATM card.
If I got five bonus items, I'd expand the list to include:
9. Change of clothes
Well, perhaps this is why I don't do many memes. My answers are pretty practical and unoriginal. I wish I could say that I always pack a purple stuffed giraffe. Or an invisibility cloak. Or a sparkly red cape. Or a bottle of shark repellent. But alas, my life is not as exciting as that of a superhero.