July 27, 2008

What I'd pack

I haven't done a meme in ages. (Apologies to bloggers who keep tagging me. Really I don't meant to be rude. I always make a note of the memes on little sticky notes, which then drift to the floor of my office and eventually get swept up and discarded.) Here's a simple meme I saw at Rev. Dr. Mom's, originally from the RevGalBlogPals website.

Five things I can't leave home without.

1. My contact lens stuff and glasses. Because otherwise, I can't see anything. This is my number one necessity.

2. My journal. I've kept a journal most of my life, and I almost always have one with me. I've got a whole shelf of old journals in my office. I like them lined, spiral-bound, and 6 by 9 inches, small enough to carry in a purse or backback. Of course, I always have a pen stuck in the spirals. I think it would be pretty frustrating to have a journal with me and not be able to write in it.

3. A fleece for when it gets cold, or to use as a pillow, if necessary. My fleece is bright red, so bloggers can spot me quickly when we meet up for the first time. I usually carry the fleece with me, so maybe it doesn't count as an item to be packed.

4. Dry socks. I hate having cold, wet feet. I can tolerate soaking wet sneakers, even, if I can just change my socks.

5. A toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. I keep them in ziploc bag so they count as just one item.

That's pretty much it. I could get along fine for a couple of weeks with just those items. Well, depending on the climate. If I was planning a winter-camping trip, a sleeping bag would take priority over a toothbrush. And any warm-weather trip would include a bathing suit. On a camping trip, a box of matches would be near the top of the list. If I'm staying in a city, I need a map and an ATM card.

If I got five bonus items, I'd expand the list to include:

6. Books
7. Camera
8. Comb
9. Change of clothes
10. Map

Well, perhaps this is why I don't do many memes. My answers are pretty practical and unoriginal. I wish I could say that I always pack a purple stuffed giraffe. Or an invisibility cloak. Or a sparkly red cape. Or a bottle of shark repellent. But alas, my life is not as exciting as that of a superhero.

9 comments:

Rev Dr Mom said...

But you ARE a superhero, aren't you?

concretegodmother said...

i do believe she is, rdm. and i'd guess the vote will go our way, by a landslide. :-)

Cathy said...

Yeah, you are a superhero, you just don't know it - and that is the beauty of it.

I laughed when I read about carrying the fleece - we only need that several months of the year, and not on consecutive days.

I'm surprised the camera didn't make the top 5.

When I go on a trip, all I pack is toothbrush, toothpaste, and deodorant. What more does someone need when it comes to those type essentials?

I'm assuming most of your socks have wool in them.

zelda1 said...

I'm with you on the dry socks. I keep an extra pair of socks in the car.

Miss Kim said...

I see you're always wearing that sparkly red (invisible to ordinary human beings) cape, so you really never have to pack it!

YourFireAnt said...

It's actually a trompe-l'loeil invisibility cloak, and underneath it she's a NAKED BLOGGER.

;-)

Phantom Scribbler said...

But you DID pack a sparkly red cape! I saw it!

jo(e) said...

Phantom: True. But it was the eleventh thing I packed -- it doesn't usually make the top ten list. I mean, unless I'm fighting crime or something.

Cathy: Eh, I'm allergic to wool. So I do have wool socks, but I can only wear them as the second layer of socks. Polypropylene is the way to go ....

FA: Well, I'm always naked under my disguise.

hele said...

Your life leaves me realing with its wonderfulness. Frisbee games, swims in the river, green afternoons, family time, naked conferences - these are all invisible cloaks of something.