November 06, 2008

Brothers

Even though he's in college, Boy in Black comes home pretty often. Well, the campus apartment he shares with FirstExtra is about twelve miles away, so he's not traveling a huge distance. His drum set is here, and his electric guitar, and the piano. He uses our washer and dryer, and he raids our cupboards for food. But mostly, I think, he comes often for the same reason my daughter tries to get home whenever she can. His younger brothers are here.

I'll come home from work and find Boy in Black settled in the comfy chair, helping Shaggy Hair with his physics homework. I'll look out into the backyard and see him throwing a frisbee with Shaggy Hair, or having a light saber battle with With-a-Why. Sometimes he'll bring his laptop home and settle down by the fire with us to do his own work. He's got a bunch of close friends on the college Ultimate team, and he'll disappear on weekends sometimes to hang out with them, but always, he returns a few days later, often on a week night, and I'll find him lounging on the couch, joking with Skater Boy or talking to Quick.

His presence is especially important to With-a-Why, that quiet, intense boy who adores his older brother. Even though they are six years apart, they've always been close. They can still stay up all night together, drawn into games or projects. I'll come downstairs sometimes on a Saturday morning and find them both on the comfy couch, asleep in whatever positions they fell into when their intense energy finally gave out.

Brothers

10 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

Such a sweet post and photo.

YourFireAnt said...

This is a beautifully written post, Jo(e). And the photo grabs ya right in the ol' SP.

FA

halloweenlover said...

Ok Jo(e), I want DETAILED instructions on how to raise my children so that they love each other the way yours do. In that picture, all I kept thinking was, his FEET are so close to his brother's face! The siblings I know would beat each other to a pulp over stuff like that!

I need advice. I'm freaking out over here! My husband and his sister do not get along, and I desperately want my kids to love each other! Help me!

Madeleine said...

You made me cry. That's lovely.

Rana said...

It's like seeing Great Dane puppies - all limbs!

Anonymous said...

Oh, so lovely - great post and beautiful pictures.

susan said...

That is just the best kind of siblinghood.

BrightBoy said...

I never fail to be amazed at how seet your family--particularly with regard to your older children--is.

Thomas and I have the exact same age difference (he's 13 and I'm 20), but we don't have nearly as close a relationship.

I'm sure you treasure this.

BrightBoy said...

I meant "sweet," not "seet."

sweatpantsmom said...

What a beautiful post.

I'm hoping my girls will want to come home often when they go away to college.

Although my husband is convinced they're never going to move out in the first place, which could be the case. I will put my foot down when they turn 30.