December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve

When we were talking in class one day about holiday rituals — both the cultural significance and the environmental impact — a student from Country Famous for Cigars said that his family always gathered around a bucket of water on New Year's Eve. They'd put their hands into the water to release all the stress and worry of the old year, and then the oldest family member would toss the bucket of water out the door.

Our tradition here is to spend a quiet evening at home, with a fire in the fireplace and the kids playing music. We have a big meal right after midnight, something that my mother's family always did. Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter and Boy in Black went out this afternoon to get groceries for the meal: they are in charge of it this year.

We don't have a bucket of water, but we do have a fresh layer of snow, several inches of it. I like beginning each year in a landscape that is clean and white, like a new page of paper.

New snow

9 comments:

YourFireAnt said...

Well I hope 2009 boils with joy and interest.

FA

Rev Dr Mom said...

We have fresh snow here, too. It is nice to start a new year that way.

Happy New Year!!

hypatia said...

You've quietly been doing a 365 project, right? Congratulations on getting through! I've enjoyed both your writing and your photos.

Kathryn and Ari said...

I've been thinking about comparative mythology and holidays this season. It seems to me that New Years may very well be the holiday that most people on the planet share, since it has little political or religious affiliation. And that got me thinking about how very few holidays we share across ethnicities and cultures. You'd think there'd be more (or at least I'd think).

Anyway, happy 2009!!

jo(e) said...

Thanks, hypatia!

K&A: Yes, that's true. I thought about that in 2000 when everyone made such a big deal about New Year's Eve all around the globe.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year. We started out with a fresh new snow too, and a sparkling blue sky to go with it. Perfect - makes me feel like anything is possible.

Anonymous said...

Love the snow picture. Happy New Year. I like the thought of your meal right after midnight but not sure my digestion would like it! However do you get to sleep after?

Patti said...

We bang pots and pans. And used to run in the streets barefoot. Frostbite has sidelined me, alas.

Unknown said...

Love this picture. Happy New Year to the whole family!