December 17, 2009

And found

I bought toothpaste at the grocery store. I know I did. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. I looked in the bathroom, opening drawers and checking to see if it had fallen to the floor. I went downstairs to the kitchen and searched the counter where I unload the groceries.

I went back upstairs. The toothpaste had still not materialized. I came back down and searched again. I was beginning to feel a little crazy. Had I left a bag of groceries in the car? I remembered the time that I found a gallon of milk in my trunk, ten hot summer days after I bought it. That was pretty nasty.

I turned to the gang in the living room. “Has anyone seen some brand new boxes of toothpaste?”

Shaggy Hair Boy looked up from his computer, “I remember seeing them somewhere."

“Where?”

He shrugged, “I don’t know.”

I went upstairs again and burst into my daughter’s bedroom. She and Sailor Boy were deep in conversation, both intently looking at something on her computer.

“I can’t find the boxes of toothpaste I bought at the store,” I announced dramatically. “I KNOW I bought some."

Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter said, without hesitation: “Usually you set stuff like that on the stairs.”

The stairs? I’d run up and down the stairs about five times in my search. But I went back and looked anyhow.

Yep. There on the third step were two boxes of toothpaste.

It’s nice to have my daughter home.

8 comments:

Madeleine said...

So glad your wonderful daughter is home. I always put the toothpaste on the stairs, too.

Kathryn said...

It's Hugger Steward who is good at that stuff for me, & I don't get him back til Monday. V envious that you have all yours home now...Enjoy being together (I know you do) xx

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

My daughter's like that, too. If I lose anything she can find it for me.

Glad you have everyone home and you're on the mend!

Liz Miller said...

Bwahahahaha!

Anonymous said...

As I read this, I thought for sure you were going to find it in the freezer.

Rana said...

I was expecting to learn that it had been commandeered for some sort of art project. *laughs*

Silver Creek Mom said...

:)
Love it!

Kyla said...

LOL! That is funny.