December 04, 2009

What lies ahead

Early December is a busy time, so when I’m sick, I just pretend I’m not. I can’t afford to miss class because my students are giving presentations. I’ve got deadlines to meet and projects to complete. I stumble through the day and then collapse at night. I don’t recommend this strategy for anyone with a bad cold or flu, but it’s the reality of early December.

After a night of fevered coughing, I got out of bed this morning to take my youngest child to school. Breathing in the cold, moist air felt good on my sore lungs. I haven’t felt much like writing on my blog this week, so I figured I’d stop and take a photo, so long as I was awake in the early morning light. Traintrack Village is full of Christmas decorations, so I thought maybe I’d take a picture of something cheery.

But instead, as I came back along the traintracks, a route I travel every single day, I decided to snap a photo of the tracks. I’ve lived somewhere near these tracks all my life. They’ve always been there. I like that they curve. I never know a train is approaching until I hear the whistle and feel the rumbling. As I stood in the cold winter air, wondering when we’re going to get some snow, I looked down the tracks and wondered what might be coming along them next.

What lies ahead

10 comments:

YourFireAnt said...

Thanks for this, Jo(e). I never get tired of shooting (or looking at) train tracks.

Next week: working lunch with your mss.??

;-)

AF said...

The thing coming next will likely be a train... ;-)

jo(e) said...

FA: Yes. As soon as I get rid of this cold, we need to get together for lunch.

jo(e) said...

AF: Or a coyote. The traintracks are a corridor for wildlife.

Arwen said...

Well, I hope what comes next is rest and a happy immune system.

Unknown said...

(Christmas?)

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I hope you feel better!!!!

((((reiki)))) and healing vibes.

I hope you manage to do everything int he best possible way.

(I did send some distance Reiki)

((((jo(e)))))

Tie-Dye Brother-in-law said...

I looked down the tracks and wondered what might be coming along them next.

Sounds rather allegorical...

secret agent woman said...

Here via Brightened Boy. I like the train track image - seems most things in life lend themselves to metaphor.

Xiomara A. Maldonado said...

Train tracks are a great photo subject. I especially love the way you captured its curve and the bits of houses.