May 07, 2005

Signs that Summer is Coming

1. I took the snow tires off my car.

2. Daughter will move back home tomorrow. Done with her exams! Done with her first year of college! She will be living home with us again for four whole months.

3. Freckles are appearing on the face of Shaggy Hair Boy.

4. Boy in Black took the first of his Advance Placement Exams yesterday. And informed me that he is never taking another history course again.

5. With-a-Why wants to go out for ice cream cones.

6. Gorgeous bright yellow dandelion flowers, hundreds of them, cover our lawns.

7. This morning, I packed away all the mittens, scarves, and snowpants, which suddenly seemed superfluous.

8. My Dad keeps talking about camp. He's ready to put the sailboat into the water.

9. I went outside this morning, flopped onto the ground where the air is warmer, and took a nap in the sun.

10. I don't have any papers to grade.

10 comments:

Musey_Me said...

Congrats on that last one... jo(e) is finally freeeeeee!

jo(e) said...

No, I really do love dandelions. They are beautiful and resilient. And every part of them is edible.

I have never understood why some people don't like them.

Rhonda said...

This sounds lovely. It's rainy here, and cold enough today that I wished I hadn't sent my winter coat back to America already. I'm coveting your dandelions and the grass that's warm (and dry) enough to lie on.

Yankee, Transferred said...

The Attorney and I are just back from a long walk...we are parched and red-of-face. It's 89 here today. AAAAAH, summer....

Phantom Scribbler said...

jo(e), LG was raving yesterday about a yard full of dandelions and how beautiful they were. He was TOTALLY FLOORED to learn that some people do not share his passion for dandelions.

Congratulations on being done with the semester!

Phantom Scribbler said...

And seriously, was it nice weather in your neck of the woods? It was 45 degrees and pouring here, all day.

Anonymous said...

It's still raining like Noah needs to build an arc here, but it's getting warmer. Everything is so green too.

There is nothing so freeing as a semster ending, no matter which side of graded papers you are on.

jo(e) said...

Clearly, some of you should visit me. We had a gorgeous sunny day here, temperatures in the 60s.

jo(e) said...

Around here, the end of April or beginning of May is about right for taking off snowtires. We did get some snow last week -- but just a trace. Nothing that stuck to the ground. And yet, later that day, temperatures soared into the 60s. We don't get much of a spring here. We go from winter right into summer.

Dandelion greens can be eaten like you would any salad green. You have to pick them before the flowers come out, though, or they are bitter. They are stronger tasting then some greens -- but mainly taste like the salad dressing I put on them. They are really good for you -- all kinds of nutrients. My Italian relatives always called dandelions a "spring tonic."

My Dad used to make wine from the flowers. He would send us out to pick bucketfuls. I can remember the adults saying that dandelion wine tastes like summer.

Rhonda said...

Dandelion jelly is also good. And so pretty.