January 17, 2006

Figures

I enjoy winter sports, I don't mind shoveling snow, and I love the way drifts of white make the world outside my window beautiful. But one thing makes my winters miserable: driving a car on icy roads. In this part of the country, no one can stay home when the weather is bad, or else we would all have to quit our jobs and hibernate. The weather is bad way too often. So on a night like tonight, when a freezing rain is making the roads treacherous, most of us just reduce our speed and go where we have to go anyhow.

I hate winter driving worse than most people – I get tense any time the roads aren’t perfectly dry. Partly this is because of a car accident I was in years ago, slamming into a guard rail after spinning out on black ice, but partly it is just my cautious nature. I have to force myself to go places in the winter. I am very quick to cancel and stay home if the weather is bad. Since I am an extrovert, staying home in the winter months contributes to my blue moods.

After being in a sulky, introspective mood all day today, I forced myself to go to my belly dancing class tonight, even though the roads were slick. I knew that music and dancing would change my mood. On the way, I congratulated myself for not being a wimp and staying home. As I pulled into the parking lot, I thought to myself that although I was tense from driving, an hour and a half of dancing would loosen me up.

I walked into the building, feeling relieved to be out from behind the wheel of the car there and hoping the salt trucks would get to the roads while I was dancing. The woman at the desk took a look at my outfit and said, "Sorry. Belly dancing class is cancelled tonight."

I just stared at her, disbelieving. She added, in explanation, in case I hadn't noticed, "The roads are bad."

17 comments:

ScienceWoman said...

Jo(e) boldly goes where no other belly dancers have gone.

Sorry. Couldn't resist. I empathize with the hatred of icy driving.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same in wet weather- I would be absolutely terrified in the snow. I had a car accident in the wet weather and I've never been the same since. I can feel myself getting so anxious as soon as it starts raining and if I am on a winding hill I almost lose my breath. You were very brave.

kermitthefrog said...

Any time you want to drive over here and belly-dance, the door will be open and the roads salted...

(actually, that's a slight exaggeration, since my street rarely gets plowed well, but wishes should count for something!)

Anonymous said...

totally. unfair.

nancy said...

Good for you getting yourself there. Sorry it was cancelled. Well, there's always Paris or a dinner party at Dani's, right?

Girl said...

Oh no! Did you at least go home and listen to fun music and belly dance in your head?

ccw said...

Good for you for braving yor fear of the roads, but sorry that your class was cancelled.

listie said...

I hope you didn't have to drive very far only to be disappointed.

negativecapability said...

That kind of disappointment is awful...when you've already gone through convincing yourself to go somewhere. I tried to go to a new Yoga class last night, but couldn't get in because it was already too full. Bleh, winter.

Anonymous said...

The class being cancelled is disappointing, but does not change the victory you had over the roads.

Roads = 0
Jo(e) = 1

Plus, in and of itself, I believe bellydancing is brave. So, this experience is like a superbrave kind of thing. Like a supernova, but completely different.

SuperB

Deb said...

Hi Jo(e)-- Just wanted to tell you that I spent a good part of last night catching up on your blog. You're just amazing...as a writer, a teacher, a mom.... Thanks so much for sharing your stories.

Unknown said...

Well, crap. How frustrating!

halloweenlover said...

OH MAN, that stinks. We can have a belly dancing party with you? You can give us lessons instead.

Who else is coming???

Leslee said...

AUGH!!! I would've screamed. I don't like to drive when the roads aren't perfectly dry either. When I was 18 three friends and I went to visit one of our other friends, the roads were starting to get icy and the guy driving wasn't slowing down. We were going down a hill and hit a slick spot and ended part way down the hill with my head next to a tree. He felt really bad about the accident but luckily we were all safe.

Be warm my friend

Anonymous said...

Oh geez. What a pain. Don't they make any attempts to contact people when that happens?

jo(e) said...

Thanks for the sympathy, everyone. I always feel like a wimp for being so afraid of driving on icy roads. I mean, I've lived in Snowstorm region my whole life so you think I would get used to it, but I never have ....

Kermit: Thanks for the offer.

Halloweenlover: You can come over and belly dance here any time.

Rana said...

Oh, no! (she said belatedly)

I hear you on driving on the slippery icy roads. I not only dislike the driving itself, but I live in fear of the big SUVs around here that are driven by people who don't understand the laws of physics governing big heavy things on slick surfaces. Yikes!

I hope the class will be open next time!