January 11, 2006

Getting naked

Whenever the bloggers I know start talking about blogger meet-ups, inevitably someone says, "Oh, and we have to include some skinny dipping."

Here's the problem with that.

Skinny dipping is not something you plan. Swimming is planned, bathing is planned, parties are planned, orgies are planned. But skinny dipping, by its very nature, is spontaneous.

It happens when you least expect it. Perhaps the day is warmer than you thought, maybe unexpected sun in early October. Maybe you are hiking with a friend along the edge of a lake, and you both are suddenly drawn to how clear the water is, how calm. You stare into the lake, noticing the colours, the reflection of the trees and sky. You lean closer to look into your own shadow, then lean into the shadow because it lets you see down below the surface.

Often you are alone with just one other person, someone you've been talking to, someone you feel close to. The kind of person you can talk to forever and also sit in silence with. You both look at the water and then each other, and you both know without words that it is going to happen. You feel comfortable stripping away your clothes, completing what many late night conversations have already started, and sliding into the water.

16 comments:

RageyOne said...

Very good analogy.

Rob Helpy-Chalk said...

Orgies have to be planned? That's what I've been doing wrong!

Anonymous said...

So why is it that when we went polar bear swimming the other night you were the only one to skinny dip? I think you just don't own a swimsuit!

jo(e) said...

Friday Mom: I like your comment better than my post.

PPB: Hey, if you remember, I wasn't the only one to skinny dip ....

And I hadn't planned to do the polar bear thing. It was pretty spontaneous. I didn't have time to run home and get a bathing suit.

Rob: I will invite you to the next orgy I plan.

Leslee said...

I agree. But the only time I WANTED to skinny dip was in a hot tub with my husband...

ccw said...

I have never understood the naughty connotation that skinny dipping gets because I have never witnessed or experienced it in such a manner. This post explains skinny dipping beautifully.

halloweenlover said...

PPB!!! Did you get pictures of such a thing! How dare you hold out on us!!!

Beautiful post, Jo(e). Makes me sad that I've never skinny dipped.

Anonymous said...

I am still having trouble wrapping my brain around the first sentence. Clearly, I need to plan some blogger meetups.

I wonder if George Clooney blogs...

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

I've never been skinny-dipping, unless outdoor hot tubs count...

DaniGirl said...

Was going to say exactly what KathyR said. I've obviously missed something essential somewhere.... (as usual)

Yankee, Transferred said...

Love this post.

Bad Alice said...

I can honestly say that in the last 20 years I have never been at a meeting where someone suggested skinny dipping. I must be moving in the wroooong circles.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Skinny dipping happened a lot more often when I was younger and has diminished with age. But not entirely. I do more of it in total solitude than with others, but it still happens occasionally. LOL! :-)

KLee said...

Boy, no wonder I haven't met any blog friends yet! None of them want to see me naked! Finally, a mystery explained. And I must have the wrong kind of blog friends if getting naked is always a topic of conversation....

Anonymous said...

I have a technical question which will quickly reveal (ha!) that I have never skinny dipped:

Must one remove all clothing in order for it to count?

SuperB

jo(e) said...

SuperB: I think it only counts if you are completely naked. Otherwise, you are just swimming.