Ten things I don’t like about spring semester:
1. First of all, the name is misleading. There is nothing spring-like about the weather we get during spring semester. I will walk to class over snowbanks, across ice sprinkled with salt, and through piles of slush. We might get a few nice days at the end. Maybe.
2. It contains the month of February.
3. It is three times longer than fall semester. Well, okay, maybe it just seems longer.
4. Committee chairs who never got around to scheduling meetings in the fall make up for lost time by scheduling meetings every week.
5. Grading papers takes longer in cold weather. Seriously. Studies have proved this.
6. A fifteen minute drive to campus can take over an hour if the roads are really bad.
7. Second semester seniors.
8. Static cling.
9. Dry skin.
10. My feet will be cold until April.
Ten things to look forward to during spring semester:
1. I get to teach contemporary nature literature.
2. Most of my students will be former students who are take my courses because they want to and not because they have to.
3. Skiing every weekend.
4. The days keep getting longer and warmer.
5. I have a laptop computer now so I can work in front of the fire.
6. My March trip to the monastery.
7. Spring Break.
8. The FourSeas Conference in the Big Midwestern City that has the Baseball Team that Always Loses.
9. I get paid reread and teach some of my favorite books.
10. Spring Semester leads to summer.