March 17, 2008

Fall

End of the trail

My husband's favorite hikes lead to high points, usually the top of a mountain with a view of a canyon. (For some bizarre reason, he has no fear of heights.) My favorite hikes are the ones that end at a waterfall. I like the security of following a creek, of knowing that I can always find my way back even if I miss the little rock cairns that mark obscure trails. I love the sound that rushing water makes, keeping me company as I walk, inviting me to stop and rest on a rock, to drink some water and eat some trail mix. In very hot weather, I'll stop to dip my whole head into the stream, and my long wet hair will keep me cool for a while. And there's something satisfying about a hike that ends at a waterfall: the crashing rhythm, the coolness of the spray, and just the sight of all that energy.

(Yes, that's me in the photo.)

15 comments:

Silver Creek Mom said...

Yes Grasshopper. You have reached the tranquil waterfall. You may dance! DANCE! DANCE!

;)

It's just too beautiful for words. I too am a waterfall chick.

Queen of West Procrastination said...

As if there was any doubt regarding the identity of the wild woman in the picture. :)

I absolutely love waterfalls. There are few things in this world as satisfying as watching a good waterfall.

Zhoen said...

Especially those naked waterfalls in that stark landscape.

Thanks for reminding me how much I need to take that short trip south.

undine said...

These pictures are amazing. I thought this was a painting at first. Thanks for posting them.

Rev Dr Mom said...

I like waterfalls, too.

And this is an especially beautiful one.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic photo. You always capture the right moments in your photos. That waterfall is beautiful. Glad you are enjoying your trip.

susan said...

Of course it's you in that photo! Dancing as if no one is looking. Except for, you know, us.

Gawdess said...

loving waterfalls too, love seeing you dance with the water.

Sarah Sometimes said...

what a beautiful trip....

angelfeet said...

That's amazing. Wonderful to see your joy at being close to the waterfall. Fantastic.

nimiecat said...

You realize that we will expect the dancing woman photos from all trips now. A new tradition! :)

jo(e) said...

Nimiecat: People always tease me for making everything into a tradition. But I am beginning to think some of my blog readers are even worse ....

Autumn Song said...

What a beautiful and powerful photograph! I could look at it for hours.

Anonymous said...

I'm lovin' the dance.

halloweenlover said...

Dance away!

Too beautiful. Now I'm dying for a trip to this magical place.