March 16, 2008

Into the canyon

Into the canyon

"So where is the naked photo of your husband?" a reader asked.

There are some things in the world you can depend on. Spring will come, the sun will set, and my husband will never pose naked for my blog. It's not that he doesn't look good naked: he's actually in great shape. But he's far more reserved than I am, an introvert by nature, and he is quite happy not to appear on my blog, with or without clothes. So all I can offer my readers is this glimpse of a faceless figure with a backpack strapped onto his shoulders. He was hiking in a black t-shirt and dark grey zip-off pants, the same outfit our oldest son always wears, and in every photo I took, I was struck by how much he looked like Boy in Black. They have the same build, the same walk, the same quiet manner. And Boy in Black would never pose naked for the blog either. Like father, like son.

9 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

Great photo of your wonderful spouse.

Unknown said...

I've got to say, my first thought was, "I didn't think any of the kids were on the trip." :-)

Gawdess said...

I can understand about no nude pix of your spouse on the blog but I appreciate this one of him and of the canyon walls.

Wayfarer Scientista said...

I love all of your canyon country pix. This is the time of year when I always keen for cannyon country - the time of year when I always went there for a week of hiking and walking and rafting and so many of these pictures are of familiar spots. And might I recommend reading Craig Child or Edward Abbey when you are there?

jo(e) said...

Wayfarer Scientista: We think alike! I kept thinking about Edward Abbey when I was hiking in the canyon.

And believe it or not, on the raft trip I took two years ago, Craig Childs was one of the fifteen people in our group. It was a raft trip set up for literature professors, and he had been invited as the guest author. So I got to spend two weeks with him in the canyon.

kathy a. said...

jo(e) you get to take excellent trips!

Silver Creek Mom said...

Awesome. Look at the colours in those rocks!
Oh! And your hubby looks good (from the back) too.

But Look at those rocks!

Clowncar said...

Love your pictures. Is this the joint trail in Canyonlands (I noticed the photos below this were the Needles)? My wife and I are really fond of that part of the country. We spent out honeymoon backpacking down into the Maze. And hope to take our kids to the Needles this Spring.

Enjoyed your bloggings.

jo(e) said...

Clowncar: Yes, one of the other photos was taken on a hike through Needles. This one is the trail down from Angels Landing in Zion.