March 09, 2008

Traveling

I live in a landscape dominated by trees. When I look out the window of my house, I see trees in every direction. When I walk in my woods in spring or summer, the foliage is so thick that I can't see more than twenty feet in any direction. At my parents' camp, we live in the deep shade of tall oak trees, whose branches spread over and tangle with the branches of smaller trees. When we hike in my part of the country, we see mostly trees in every directions, getting a longer view only at a rare rock ledge or the summit of a mountain.

The southwest landscape, without the trees I am used to, is dominated by sun, by sky that stretches over rocks and cliffs. No matter where I go or which way I turn, some kind of scenic vista stretches before me. Whether hiking along a trail or driving in the car to our next destination, I can see for miles. When I close my eyes at night, I can still see this view.

Traveling

12 comments:

Not Scott said...

Quite the view, isn't it. I never get tired of seeing something similar. When I'm out running my usual route, I hit the turnaround and see two mountains guiding me home. Sunrise and sunset are enough to make me forget how miserable my legs feel.

crazymumma said...

magnificent.

I've always wanted to go and stand in a landscape like that. Then lie on my back and feel very very small.

crazymumma said...

...and.

its that mythic stretch of road. so american really so cinematic. The journey to somewhere else.

blah blah blah. Too much coffee not enough sleep.

east village idiot said...

I can't tell you how much your blog inspires me - as a writer, as a woman and as a mom. thanks.

M said...

That's what I'm talking about. Wide open spaces.

concretegodmother said...

omg! *this* is why the settlers kept going!

Silver Creek Mom said...

WOW! I've never seen anything like this in person. I seen flat wheat feilds as the eye can see, but this is awesome.

jodi said...

The western landscape always freaks me out a little. I guess because there is no place to hide. It feels like being exposed inside and out. Nothing between you and God.

Anonymous said...

So wonderful to see some colour in a photo. There is nothing but white surrounding us after this last storm. Glad you are out and enjoying such spectacular views.

kathy a. said...

it's pretty crazy, seeing snow-tufted mountains behind the stark, red, carved-away pieces of desert.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Wonderful-Naked and non-naked time, both!

Bardiac said...

I love that landscape, love being able to see a lot of sky and mountains. The plains make me feel asea or something.