April 01, 2008

Bloom

Last year at the end of March, as I was leaving a party at my friend Quilt Artist's house, I noticed little white flowers in bloom at the edge of her driveway. Snowdrops, she called them. The name seemed especially appropriate because we still had snow piled in banks along the road. "You don't have any snowdrops at your house?" Quilt Artist asked, and she dug up a shovelful to put them in a plastic bag for me. When I got home, I stuck them in the ground under the barberry bushes and forgot about them.

Yesterday, I looked up from my computer to complain to anyone within earshot that other bloggers were posting photos of flowers in bloom, while we still had snow on the ground. Every year, I am the last blogger to post any flower photos. My daffodils and tulips aren't up yet, and the lilacs won't flower until the second weekend of May.

"What about those little white flowers?" Shaggy Hair Boy asked. "You know, under the barberry bushes."

The snowdrops! I'd done nothing to take care of them, but they had faithfully returned, hidden between the bushes and the foundation of the house, the first flowers of the season.

Snow drop

16 comments:

Gawdess said...

I love how this snowdrop looks like a lamp shining down on the dark green stems

Rev Dr Mom said...

Lovely.

my15minutes said...

I do feel sorry for you, not having spring yet. Here it's crazy with color. But I'm glad for the consolation of snowdrops! And hey, at least you had snow this winter...we hardly got any, but we're always hoping for snow! :-)

Overeducated Twit said...

So delicate looking.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful.

We are buried under snow here, too. But the kids are really loving the moist perfect-for-snowballs snow.

Anonymous said...

Yay snowdrops! I'm in a much gentler climate than you, but snowdrops are one of the first blooms here, too. Along with my periwinkle (vinca minor), interestingly.

BrightStar (B*) said...

How beautiful! I haven't seen anything like it.

jaysonwithaY said...

I'll have to look for these down here in NC.

Unknown said...

Neat, not just snowdrops, but you have barberries, too! Have you eaten any? There is a very nice Persian dish called "zereshk polo," which is chicken with saffron rice and dried barberries. I suppose you could do "zereshk tofu" instead.

Anonymous said...

I love snowdrops. They say "Spring is on its way!"

Anonymous said...

So pretty, and what a wonderful name for the first flower of spring :)

Busymomma66 said...

I have to get myself some of them! While it hasn't been a particularly snowy winter (pretty much the opposite--it obviously jumped over us and dumped it onto you) Spring hasn't totally appeared yet, and I am sooooo ready for spring.

Michael Campbell said...

Wow, things change fast. I almost missed the trauma you went through--I'm so sorry. (The photo of you trying to nap by the hospital bed made me want to pet your head.) Yet already flowers are blooming in your life again, even without your help. That's no accident.

listie said...

You can always count on snowdrops to show up when you're desperate for flowers and green.

jo(e) said...

Mick: By the time I took that photo, I had been about 48 hours without sleep,and I was probably functioning at the level of a puppy ....

Mom2BJM(Amy) said...

I must say I have been one of those posting pics of flowers - I am so proud of my tulips that came up! But your snowdrops are beautiful!