April 28, 2008

Speaking with fabric

Speaking with fabric

Inspired by Berrybird's blog post, I stopped on my way home from work today to see an art installation about as big as my house. It's an abandoned gas station that has been completely quilted. Every inch — all four sides, the sign, and even the pumps — are covered with colorful fabric.

More than a thousand people collaborated on the project, working on three-foot square panels, which were then stitched together and put in place. On this grey, rainy day, the colors of the fabric shone brightly. I walked around the building, looking at the panels, at all the careful work done by creative people who are concerned about the world's dependence on oil.

Protest quilt

15 comments:

Zhoen said...

Oh, that's wonderfully loopy, and I mean that with utter admiration.

susan said...

I love the colors and textures, which I imagine were even more cool in person.

Sue said...

Wow. That's incredible.

Gawdess said...

astonishing and moving and yes the colours shine in that rainy weather

BrightBoy said...

You really must live in a cool area.

Overeducated Twit said...

Wow. That's amazing in scope, creativity--and the fact that they were able to bring so many crafty people together to make such a statement.

BerryBird said...

I love how they've taken an eyesore--that station has been abandoned as long as I can remember--and turned it into a thing of beauty.

Suzanne said...

Amazing. I would love for that to be a traveling exhibit - there are so many abandoned gas stations in my area that would be a perfect setting.

YourFireAnt said...

I wonder if they walked or rode bikes out there to do the quilting.

FA

Yankee, Transferred said...

what a wonderful idea!

Unknown said...

Thanks for posting this. I'm going to be in this town at the end of next month. I'll actually get to see this installation! I never would have heard about it otherwise.

Anonymous said...

What a fabulous idea, this made me smile.

(I'm an old reader with a new blog, hence the new name among your comments.)

listie said...

I nearly drove off the road when I went by it. I was sorry I didn't have my camera with me.

landismom said...

That's incredible--and it makes me want to get out my quilting needle!

Andromeda Jazmon said...

I wanted to contribute to this project but just didn't find the time this winter. It turned really well. What an amazing sight.