April 29, 2008

The taste of pink

My husband and I don't exchange gifts for holidays. I don't like the way that holidays can make people feel obligated to buy something: it seems like a gift should be freely given. I don't want to my family to get sucked into the evil cycle of consumerism, and gifts too often are thing that people don't need or want.

But I make an exception for fresh flowers. My husband has given me flowers, sometimes on birthdays or holidays, but sometimes for no reason at all, for over thirty years now. Sometimes he'll bring home bright yellow or purple flowers on a grey winter day, or sometimes he'll bring long-stemmed roses with ferns and baby's breath.

I like roses best after they've begun to wilt, and I can scatter the petals across the bed.

The taste of pink

13 comments:

Cathy said...

It is stunning indeed. I am just curious who took it and how they did it?

jo(e) said...

Thanks, Yankee and Cathy.

Cathy: I took the photo myself, using the timer on my camera.

Sandie said...

Beautiful photo, and really cool idea. I totally agree with you too about gift giving.

Anonymous said...

I love flowers as a gift.

I enjoy them while I have them, but then I can just toss them and they don't clutter up my space.

jo(e) said...

Heidi: Exactly. You have to love a biodegradable gift that ends up in the compost pile. Nothing wasted!

Zhoen said...

When my father was laid off from the factory, he got a job as groundskeeper for a cemetery. My mother, who had never gotten any kind of thoughtful gift from him her whole life, now had (mostly) fresh flowers every day. (Not stolen, left at the crematorium.)

I loved all those roses, rescued from wreathes that would have been tossed away.

Gawdess said...

You must know this is beautiful in many, many ways and in many different layers - I want to try and emulate this, love the petals, love the ideas, love the beautiful shape you make with your body and hair.

YourFireAnt said...

This is lovely, Jo(e). !

FA

Kyla said...

Wow. That's a great shot.

Unknown said...

That's a really beautiful picture.

Silver Creek Mom said...

Art

Sue said...

This is so very beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I love this Jo(e), both the sentiment of your flowers and the photo. You are so beautiful.