April 09, 2008

Sex in the woods

My woods are still brown. Dark puddles stretch beneath bare branches. The poison ivy that will be so thick and glossy later in the year has not yet appeared. The ground is covered with wet dead leaves and last year's dried stalks.

What I notice most are the brilliant mosses, shining from stumps and logs. I stop to look at them up close because they aren't all the same. Some are shaped like little ferns, others like Christmas trees. Some are thick and spongy; others cling tightly to logs. Even the green varies, from a rich dark green to a light true green.

When I kneel down on the wet ground, I can see sporophytes protruding from moss, the result of sexual reproduction. These first cells of the next generation wave toward the sky, ready to send spores off to spread more moss through the woods.

Sporophytes

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

thats not all what i expected from the title.

Gawdess said...

irresistible title.
gorgeous colours and perspective.

Rev Dr Mom said...

That's a great picture!

Unknown said...

Yes, it's a gorgeous photo.

YourFireAnt said...

You didn't happen to come across any ladyslippers didja? [tho' why in HELL they call 'em LADYslippers I'll never know...]

FA

Zhoen said...

Seething, throbbing nature.

Cathy said...

I bet the googlers will be surprised when they see the photo when they search the title.

Anonymous said...

love your moss photos. Ever since that hike when you pointed out the mosses I've noticed it everywhere.

argon(one) said...

nice perspective!

Fire Bird said...

wonderful - I love tiny life

Anonymous said...

I can't help but love someone who uses the word "sporophyte" in a blog entry. Great photo, too.

Silver Creek Mom said...

No sexy moss to be had up here. Way too much snow on the ground.
Shows me you live much futher south than I do.

I'm waiting for sex in the woods too.

Hel said...

I never leave here without a smile an ooooh and an aaaah

zelda1 said...

I love the moss and the lichens too. My favorite are the licken covered rocks. Also, I like the wild mushrooms that sprout up around dying logs. Your pictures are great. YOur blog is the first I look at when I start my blog surfing and I always get a smile, which, by the way, is a great way to start the day.