March 23, 2005

The Feel Good Meme

I saw this at Peripatetic Polar Bear awhile back ....

Ten Things I can do

1. Sail a sailboat or paddle a canoe
2. French braid hair (but not my own, that's too difficult)
3. Get school kids to write poetry
4. Breastfeed while hiking up a trail
5. Light a match from a matchbook with only one hand (an amazing cool party trick that was popular when I was in junior high).
6. Cook for big numbers of people (but they all have to like vegan food.)
7. Fall asleep within seconds of my head touching the pillow
8. Walk into a roomful of strangers and make friends
9. Use an ax (although not without steel-toed boots because I have terrible aim.)
10. Sit quietly in the woods for hours

6 comments:

jo(e) said...

I learned to breastfeed while hiking because I often hike with impatient people. The trick is to support the weight of the baby with one arm, while using the other hand to keep the baby's head very close. You have to keep the baby tight against your body or else you end up with sore nipples.

Phantom Scribbler said...

I try not to let on that I can breastfeed while moving, because I'm afraid that the three-year-old will never let me sit again...

jo(e) said...

Dr. K, I was very impressed with your list. I can't do any of those things, except number five. So you needn't be jealous of my breasts.

Friday Mom, the key is to look around the room and pick out the people who are shy, or lonely, or bored. In any room there are people just hoping someone will come talk to them.

Scrivener said...

Maybe I'm just too sleep-deprived to think clearly enough to come up with anything, but I tried feeling good about myself and here's what I came up with:

1. I can function well without sleep.
2. I can function well without eating.

That pretty much fulfills my list of interesting skills. Thanks for making me feel so pathetic. What kind of meme is this anyway? Like I need more excuses to feel pathetic.

jo(e) said...

Scrivener, don't blame me for feeling pathetic. You have always BEEN pathetic and self-awareness is an important first step.

If it makes you feel any better, I can't do either thing on your list. If I go for more than a couple hours without food, I get faint. And sleep deprivation makes me act drunk.

jo(e) said...

Oh, and Davy Trane, if you send me another CD, I promise to teach you the cool matchbook trick. It will make you the hit of any party. So long as the party is filled mostly with junior high kids.