October 12, 2005

All but the scar

Conversation with my red-haired sister, who was visiting from out of town:

Sister: Hey, I haven't seen With-a-Why's glasses yet. Didn't you tell me he wears glasses now?
Me: Well, he mostly wears them at school.
Sister: I want to see what he looks like in glasses. I bet he looks cute.
Me: I think he is self-conscious about the glasses.
Sister: Why would he be self-conscious?
Me: Because when he puts them on, everyone always says the same thing.
Sister: What? Not something mean, I hope? Are kids being mean?
Me: No, nothing mean.
Me: But even at the eye doctor's, everyone kept saying it. He is sick of everyone saying it.
Sister: What are you talking about? What do they say?
Me: You'll see.
Me: (to With-a-Why) Go get your glasses and put them on.

With-a-Why is a quiet serious child, with pale skin and beautiful big eyes. His dark hair is always messy and standing straight up. He pulled the glasses out of his bookbag and put them on.

Sister: Oh, my God! He looks like Harry Potter!
Me: Exactly.

8 comments:

Phantom Scribbler said...

Awwww. I so heart With-a-Why. At least he'll have an easy Halloween costume -- you won't need pirate regalia!

Nels P. Highberg said...

Oh, poor kid!

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

There isn't a lightening bolt scar on his forehead is there?!
Hh

Yankee, Transferred said...

Sweet With-A-Why. I bet that
a. he looks adorable and
b. he doesn't want to hear that.

ccw said...

Poor kid! Although I am sure he looks great, despite the resemblance to Harry Potter.

Liz Miller said...

Poor thing. But it could be worse, they could be saying, "Oh my God! You look just like Dan Weingarten!"

Unknown said...

#1 Son has a friend who looks and sounds just like Mo Rocca; it could definitely be worse.

RussianViolets said...

Oh, poor kid! I'm sure he looks adorable.