October 28, 2005

Friday Waterfall Blogging


I can spend hours listening to a waterfall, learning the rhythm of conversation between water and rock.

I took this photo last June in the Japanese Garden in Portland, Oregon. Even though I was in Portland for less than 48 hours, I went to the gardens twice, once with an old friend and once with a new friend. I enjoyed walking the quiet paths, admiring the trees and mosses.

The crashing, tumbling sound of the waterfall made a nice backdrop for our conversations, for catching up with an old friend and for getting to know a new friend. I love the way a conversation tumbles about, with ideas swirling and twisting and sloshing, always moving downstream.

10 comments:

Piece of Work said...

What a great photo. And a nice metaphor.

blithering moron said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
listie said...

How beautiful - the photo and the words.

Sergei C. said...

Back when I lived in Michigan's Upper Penninsula my friends and I used to go looking for waterfalls then hike up them. We'd wear ratty old shoes so we could walk right up the river where need be. Those were magical times.

Mon said...

Gorgeous Photo!!

Leslee said...

Worth 1000 words!

Jess said...

Can you believe that I live in Portland and have never been to the Japanese Garden? I do have a soft spot for the waterfalls in the Columbia Gorge, even as touristy as some are. You should plan a trip if you're ever here again. There's one you have to wade upstream to find - heavenly on a hot day.

Anonymous said...

after my own heart
I love waterfalls

to me they are a picture of God's love showering down OVER me :)

~profgrrrrl~ said...

So lovely! Oh, you're reminding me that I forgot to post my photos of my visit there last summer. Must do that. What an amazing spot.

L said...

What at *beautiful* waterfall!!! I want to go there! (maybe someday). I like even better the way you link your experience of this waterfall with friendships...

Yeah, maybe I should scan some beautiful "old" pictures of waterfalls from Brazil... I enjoyed some of them with friends as well...