October 07, 2005

Weekend Retreat with the Shadow Women

Spectacular. Beautiful. Gorgeous.

All the superlatives in the world cannot describe the mountains on an October day. Brilliant red leaves form intricate patterns against dark green pines. Yellows and oranges group together, deepening into gold. Roads curve through slopes of colour so vivid that it seems unreal. And everywhere, tucked into mountainsides, calm lakes sleep, their dark surfaces reflecting all that splendid colour.

Tomorrow morning early, I will drive to the mountains with a group of friends I have called the Shadow Women. We will stay in a camp owned by Signing Woman's family, a lodge with floor to ceiling glass windows that overlook a lake, a place surrounded by mountains that will be woven with colour.

We will talk. We will eat food. We will take a hike and find a place to sit in the sun on top of a mountain. We will talk some more. We will walk to a church down the road that has a labyrinth outside by the lake. Silently, each of us will walk the labyrinth. Then we will make more food. We'll talk some more. Some of us will take the canoes out, paddling along the shore, under the overhanging sugar maples. Some of us might swim, if the water feels warm enough.

In the evening, I will build a fire in the big stone fireplace. We'll talk some more. We'll listen to music. LongBeautifulHair and I will try to get everyone to dance. We'll give each other massages, using lavender-scented massage oil. ReikiWoman and I will do some reiki. We'll talk some more. We'll drink hot tea and eat homemade desserts.

At night, I'll sleep on the floor next to the fire, near the red coals that will fade slowly, and awaken to morning sunlight splashing through the big windows. And possibly, the sight of bras dangling at the hearth.

15 comments:

L said...

Oh... how delightful!! The bras dangling post was the very first I read. You have so many "magical" and profound experiences to share in your blog -- I want to have a life like that "when I grow up"... (but I guess it'll be possible only if we go back to our homecountry...where our lifelong friends are)

listie said...

Oh, it sounds so wonderful! Have a great weekend.

Pilgrim/Heretic said...

I've always wanted to walk a labyrinth. Is that something you would write about, jo(e)?

jo(e) said...

Oh, good idea, Pilgrim. When I come home, I'll write a post about the labyrinth.

Milliner's Dream, a woman of many "hats"... said...

I'm jealous (in a good, healthy sorta way, you know) and wish I could join you all. Sounds like good refreshing fun.

I liked the pic--reminds me of those hieroglyphics with Kokopeli-type figures...or something. :)

Hh

Anonymous said...

Oh, that sounds so wonderful. I wish I could come, too....

ccw said...

Sounds like such a wonderful time! Like so many of your posts, I want to get outside now.

negativecapability said...

I would like to read about the labyrinth, too!

Jules said...

You do reiki? I've been looking for a reiki practitioner.

Feel like a trip to the Snow Belt? We've got leaves and fireplaces here!

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your friends.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Sometimes, it seems like you lead a charmed life! May it continue to be so!

I'm up in Maine and New Hampshire on my annual leaf peeping tour, but it is raining so hard that we got so soaked. We did still have fun though. No female bonding, but lovely primal waves crashing against wind-battered rocks.

Hope it was good for you. I do agree that I wish I had your friends! LOL!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

I would love to have such a weekend. I'm not a real hiker, but I do love sleeping outside in the silence of nature.

Minoa said...

Wow! a church with a labyrinth? I found one near my city, but it's in a sculpture garden, surrounded by the spirits of trolls and gnomes.

Rana said...

*wistful sigh*

I love reading your stories about your family and friend get togethers, but they almost always make me feel like there are two groups of people out there -- those who create networks like that, and those who envy them. I seem to be in the latter camp, alas.

Still, I hope you all have a great time -- at least I can have some vicarious joy! :)

Scrivener said...

The title of this post clearly indicates "weekend" retreat. It is now Monday. Monday is not the weekend anymore, so where are you? I mean, really, you think you can just take off and leave all us blog-readers jonesing for a post?