October 29, 2005

How we spent our extra hour

It was a cold fall day here, an nice afternoon to spend in front of the fire. My Smart Beautiful Wonderful Daughter took a nap on one end of the couch, while Blonde Niece slept on the other. Spouse stretched out on the floor in front of the fire with a quilt and pillow. Our household boy band was recording music at the other end of the room, with SkaterBoy on the drums and Boy in Black on the electric guitar. As I sat in the comfy chair, with my journal in my lap, I heard the same songs over and over again (Daytripper by the Beatles and Bad Day by R.E.M.). The younger boys were quiet. I'd given With-a-Why permission to play a computer game with his cousin, Suburban Nephew, while Shaggy Hair played against FirstExtra.

When the musicians took a break, moving into the kitchen area to root through the refrigerator, I could feel dusk settle into the house. The fire crackled, the dry logs snapping. I could hear a train whistling as it went by on its way to Chicago. Three deer wandered into the yard, grazing the back meadow, just outside the window behind the couch. I watched the deer for awhile, and then stared into the fire before curling up into the chair and taking a nap myself.

5 comments:

Immodesty Blaze said...

Aaaaw, I always wanted to study writing... Lit used to be my favourite subject. I did some creative writing at college, and the professor implored me to do more, but I simply don't really think I have enough to say to make it worthwile. Lucky you. Also, love the meme.

Ianqui said...

What? But the extra hour hasn't happened yet! I'm going to use mine to, uhhh, keep watching bad late night TV, I guess.

Or sleep, maybe. Oh, how I love to use that hour sleeping...

Sarah Sometimes said...

In high school, I had a friend who told us a story to illustrate how compulsive his father was. The story was that his father would stay up until 2:00 a.m. the night that the clocks change and go around the house changing all the clocks. Since it's almost 2:00 now, I may get to relive my friend's father's tradition. Hmm, does that mean the extra hour is right now? I think I will emulate ianqui and dedicate it to sleeping.

Yankee, Transferred said...

We moved furniture. But that's a whole post of its own, coming soon to a blog near you.

Running2Ks said...

I love your extra hour. You take living in the moment and set it beautifully, as poetry.