March 22, 2006

My Dad’s airport story

When my father was growing up, he lived within bike-riding distance of this airport. He says he can remember one of his friends saying, "Hey, I found a great field where we can play football." So a group of them climbed a fence and found themselves in a big nicely mowed field, part of the airstrip. They played many an exciting game there, calling timeout and ducking back into the woods whenever a plane came skimming over their heads. Since WWII was going on, these were military planes.

Some of the pilots would wave at them, but eventually, a man in a military uniform came to ask the kids not to climb the fence and play there any more. New security precautions meant that kids playing football near the runway was no longer allowed. "I think he felt bad about it," my father said, "These military guys were young, and I think they liked watching us play."

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, that makes me sad. For everyone involved, really.

Leslee said...

That makes me sad too. I bet those pilots did enjoy watching them play.

Coffee-Drinking Woman said...

How different the world is today...

Michael LeVan said...

You should write a poem based on this. It's rich with possibilities for memory, youth, and politics.

zelda1 said...

Befor 911, Wedensday afternoons were devoted to me taking my now seven-year-old grandson, to McDonalds for a happy meal, and then to the airport where we sat on the hood of my car and had a picnic watching the planes take off and land. The airport was used by the military too and for a while after 911 we got to see the huge jets take off and the military pilots always waved at him as they made the turn to go back down the runway. I have pictures of them and him and one day, one of the mechanics came out and offered to take him for a tour, so my grandson and I got to go see the giant jets and planes. That was then, These days, they have fenced off the area where we sat and have a security camera there so that if anyone tries to hang out, they send a MP over to ask them to leave. I understand why, but every once in a while, my grandson will say, "Nanny, remember when we went to see the planes?" I say, "Yep." He says, "I wish we could still do that." I say, "Me too."

ccw said...

What fun that must have been for everyone playing or watching.

A wonderful memory that illustrates just how much things have changed.

Yankee, Transferred said...

great post. Sorry it's so different now.