March 21, 2006

Weather forecast

Usually, going to a conference in late March gives me a chance to escape the winter weather here. I remember a conference in Phoenix that included swimming in the hotel pool, soaking in the hot sun on the hotel patio, and hiking in the desert in a t-shirt and shorts. I can remember sitting at an outside restaurant in San Antonio a few years ago, savoring the sun on my bare arms. I can remember walking to the botanical gardens in Atlanta, enjoying the feel of a warm wind. March is a nice time to travel to someplace warm and get a taste of spring.

Today, before packing my suitcase, I hopefully checked the weather forecast in the Big Midwestern City Where The Four Seas Conference is Being Held This Week. What did I find? It's snowing there. With temperatures in the 20s.

Oh, well. At least I will feel right at home.

7 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

There's a restaurant in Big Midwestern City where you can get a really good spinach and artichoke pizza. I recommend that to ward off the cold!

Anonymous said...

I recommend Pizzeria Due, myself. I think that might be my favorite part of that city.

And not to rub it in....but I'm at Big Ol' Conference right now in San Diego, and *damn*. It is so incredibly nice to be able to go outside and not have to trudge through feet of snow to get anywhere. I'm so transfering schools...

Rana said...

Jen, check the Reader for rental rates before you make a decision. That'll help. *grin*

(Seriously, though, I appreciate what you're saying, having gone to grad school there.)

You know what's a bummer, jo(e)? You finally get within driving distance of me, and this big ol' storm swoops in. (Well, and D's mother, the usual reason for a trip there, will be coming here instead.) Have fun!

Yankee, Transferred said...

have fun. Still jealous.

Pink Cupcake said...

Hope you have a fantastic time, even if it is snowy...Enjoy the Blogger Breakfast!

comebacknikki said...

At least it's supposed to get up to the forties today. :)

zelda1 said...

Have fun and remember there is one thing about the midwest that you can count on, the weather is unpredictable. One day snow, the next it can get into the 80s. So pack those shorts, just in case.