December 14, 2006

Career plan

After one semester in college, Boy in Black has got his career all figured out. He announced it the other day.

"I've decided what I want to be. I'm going to get a doctorate in physics, and then be a hobo who hangs out on the street corner with a guitar."

"A hobo?"

"Yeah, I could see myself doing that. People would be saying to their kids, you need some help in Physics? Go see that hobo on the street corner. He's mad smart in physics."

As he talked, he was getting dressed so he could drive Skater Boy to the music store. He was wearing old pants patched with duct tape and his usual black t-shirt. Over this outfit, he pulled on a wrinkled flannel shirt, a shapeless black hoodie, and these pink fingerless mittens that he had taken from his sister. He hasn't shaved since September. His long uncombed hair hangs in his face, some of it tied back with a black bandana, which gives him sort of a disreputable pirate look. He's tall and dark, and the facial hair makes him look older than eighteen.

"See, I'm already halfway there."

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Heh...there's a famous family story in which I, as a first grader, declared that I wanted to be a physicist during the week and a night-club singer on the weekends.

I am sad that Boy-in-Black has been able to hold onto the scientist-cum-musician dream about a dozen years longer than I was.

Anonymous said...

There's a research scientist here at my graduate university who plays the harmonica outside of the undergrad library. Everyone thought he was homeless until it was found out that he was a research scientist.

-Kate

Anonymous said...

Oh, the ambition!

Anonymous said...

That is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

Did you tell brilliant college boy that hoboes ride the rails? It is bums that sit on the corner playing guitars.

Kathryn said...

Oh I do love you and yours, Jo(e)...As I've commented before Boy in Black and Hugger Steward are clearly kindred spirits...HS has been practising making "tramp awakening on park bench" noises for some time now, while preparing to read Theology at university. Perhaps they could collaborate?
btw...how are plans for next Feb coming on? My day off is Wednesday, - very willing to travel anywhere to meet then!

Anonymous said...

That is hilarious. Be prepared, Boy in Black will probobly be one of those people who end up on the cover of Time.

ccw said...

Stories like this are why I love your children.

Yankee, Transferred said...

I love this kid.

bridgett said...

My husband's ambition during grad school was to finish up his doctorate and then run a pushcart hotdog stand. Dr. Dawg was to be the sage of the street, feeding the physics Zenmaster bums of Iowa City, talking to the taxman about poetry, and explaining why disability was a significant category of historical analysis. The cold winters of our current location have dampened his enthusiasm for this plan, but sometimes (like now, during finals week) it still sounds like a good career move to me.

Mona Buonanotte said...

I'd be happy if my Boy-child grew up just like Boy in Black...!

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

LOL! Someone told me a story, a true story, about being a a high-powered science conference--maybe it was you--and seeing a "bag lady" who then turned out to be the keynote speaker and a physics whiz. A lot of physics professors do look sort of like bums. And he could lend credence to the story that scientists are all a little whacky and phDs don\t necessarily get you a good job! LOL!

He's so cute and smart.

At the rate mine's going, he'll look just like that only be a hobo muscian. Period (forget the physics).

listie said...

Boy in Black is just so cool.

Anonymous said...

I say let's give him an honorary doctorate. Those kids need him NOW. : )

Anonymous said...

I know two people at my university that look like homeless lunatics: one is a sociologist that studies the homeless, the other is a butterfly expert. Outside of academia there aren't many jobs that are so lucrative and yet allow you to dress like a homeless person.