December 12, 2006

It's beginning to smell a lot like Christmas

When people talk about holiday decorations, they often comment on the colors or the lights or the visual effects. My favorite part of having a Christmas tree in the house is the way it smells. We haven't decorated our tree yet — our two college kids have final exams to take and final papers to write this week — but I love having it set up in the living room, the piney smell of the branches filling the room. If I close my eyes, I can imagine that I am in a pine forest.

I am home grading papers, which is most certainly not my favorite activity. In fact, you might say that I hate grading papers. But I am enjoying the smells of my household — the delicious aroma of vegan chocolate cake in the oven, the logs burning in the fireplace, and that great Christmas tree smell.


tree

With-a-Why patiently waiting until it's time to decorate the tree.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you have the philodendron from Desk Set on your mantle.

I love how WaW is sitting ever so casually NOT looking at the tree and yet in a Santa hat. So very very cool.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Great tree, great photo, jo(e)! I sure do miss the smell of Christmas trees, love Balsam particularly! WAHN!

Very nice photo! Hope you had/have fun decorating! XOX Mary :-D

BeachMama said...

Nice cozy living room. I too love the smells. We live in a newer neighbourhood where most people have gas fireplaces. I was at a Christmas party on Sunday in an older 'real' fireplace neighbourhood, I had forgotten how wonderful the smell of fires in the hearth was. It reminded me of all my childhood Christmas', I felt sad that my son won't have that same smell to associate with Christmas. Thank goodness we still get a real tree!

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Wow. That is one gorgeous tree, jo(e).

Anonymous said...

That's a pretty tree. If I could, I would leave my tree up year round. Just for the smell.

Anonymous said...

Can I have a piece of cake? That sounds good.

jo(e) said...

Sorry, Linda. The cake is already gone. Chocolate cake doesn't last long in this house.

Anonymous said...

Wow! No time for ambivalence about dessert at your house...

Sarah Sometimes said...

I like the pair of boots poking into the picture on the left, creating an air of mystery. I am grading papers (or avoiding doing so) at this very moment. But no piney Christmas tree smell. Maybe I'll light a sweet-smelling candle for myself.

Unknown said...

I love the tree smell, too. It's cheering me up even as I type this.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Our tree is up and undecorated, too. My plan is for Saturday.

halloweenlover said...

I have to say that the only thing I wish we could have is the smell of pine in our house. I buy candles, but it isn't the same as that glorious real smell.

Rana said...

That smell is the reason I'll never get an artificial tree. I just love the complex citrusy-piney goodness of it. :)

Anonymous said...

What a great picture!

Anonymous said...

I love the tree as well. i hope you can post a picture of it decorated for our enjoyment :)