December 31, 2006

Quiet endings

One of my friends has recently separated from her husband and plans to get a divorce sometime in 2007. She's had a difficult year. So she decided to spend the last day of the year doing something healthy: she called up her friends and invited us all over for lunch.

We met at her house around noon, some of us bring platters of fruit or dessert. We gathered in her kitchen to eat lentil soup and vegetarian chili. We talked about the holidays, about extended families, about partners and kids and work, about all kinds of stuff. As more people arrived, the room grew quieter, as women paired off for intimate conversations.

After the busyness of the holidays, the gathering gave me space for thinking, for reflection. It's nice to be surrounded by people who know you well, who are aware of all your faults and obsessions, and who like you anyhow. At the end of the afternoon, I hugged my friends goodbye and drove home to take a nap before spending the evening with my husband, my kids, and my extras.

13 comments:

RageyOne said...

Sounds like a wonderful afternoon.

Happy New Year!

landismom said...

Happy New Year, Jo(e)! Glad you ended the year on such a positive note.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

How wonderful to share the end of the year with close friends.

Anonymous said...

Friendships like that are priceless. Happy New Year! Hope the time with family tonight is full of fun.

Anonymous said...

I had my friends over for tea on Friday. Same kinda thing.

Anonymous said...

YOu know, in so many of your stories I'm struck by how lucky you are to live in a place where so many people know you so well and so long. I suppose the longer I live where I do, the more people I'll have known for longer (duh). But it's a rare thing for an academic to have the ties to the community that you do. I love reading these stories.

Happy new year to you and yours.

Kathryn said...

Happy New Year, Jo(e)...I'm so looking forward to March! xx

um yeah said...

I'm glad you has a safe and happy day.
Happy new year and thanks for the the inspiring, amusing, and moving posts.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Jo(e).

Anonymous said...

Have a Happy New Year!

I was sleeping on the couch but woke up with two minutes to spare for a couple sips of champagne and a couple kisses from my fiance. Then I went back to sleep!

Kris said...

Friends are so important. So are naps. :)

Kris said...

oops, I meant to also say:

Happy New Year!

APStraight said...

I don't often post, but I wanted to thank you for sharing you vivid writing. Happy New Year!