December 27, 2006

Waking

winter in the woods

After three days of eating and talking, hanging out with my kids by the fire, watching old episodes of Scrubs on a laptop computer while snuggling in bed under a down quilt with my husband, taking afternoon naps, and other forms of decadent behavior, it was time today to pull on my boots and take a hike in my own woods. It's been unseasonably warm, so I was splashing through puddles, although a dusting of snow on the bare branches and hemlocks made the scene look like winter. I could feel my sluggish body beginning to wake up as I breathed in the moist air, stomped through dark pools, and caught snowflakes with my eyelashes and hair.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah... I felt myself take a nice deep breath just looking at this picture.

Mieke said...

Looks great. It inspired me to take the boys to the mountains for their first snow experience. We leave on Friday. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I wish we get snow here - it's been a warm winter. I was so disappointed that I can't wear my snow boots yet...Happy Holidays!

um yeah said...

Sounds so peaceful. I hope you are having lovely holidays.

Anonymous said...

Everything in this post sounds wonderful...kids by the fire, Scrubs in bed, walking in the snow dusted woods. Wonderful!

Yankee, Transferred said...

myself? I like the idea of decadent behavior.

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous photo, if only we could all have woods like that behind our house. Enjoy your decadent time to yourself and with your family.

listie said...

Yesterday we went for a long walk on a wooded trail during a snow flurry; it was almost as lovely as your picture