February 25, 2009

Off to find peace and quiet

During the first week of my sabbatical, I took a trip to Big City Like No Other, where I spent time with Red-haired Niece and Urban Sophisticate Sister, visited museums and wandered around the city, and met up with all kinds of blogging friends.

A couple of weeks ago, I spent a week in Midwestern City with the Baseball Team That Always Loses. At Big Creative Writing Conference, I went to sessions, talked to editors, and hung out with other writers. That week was crowded with meals in great restaurants, readings in ballrooms hung with chandeliers, and conversations with friends in coffeeshops and museums. It was a week spent talking about writing and ideas and publications. It saturated even an extrovert like me.

Tomorrow, I'm going to a monastery where I'll have an uninterrupted week of silence. I'll spend it writing. It's not the monastery that I usually go to, but a bigger monastery in Southern State Where it Will be Warm. I don't know what to expect exactly, except for the peace and quiet I always find on retreat. I'm bringing my laptop so that I can work on my manuscript. But I'm leaving my mittens home.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh! How lovely!

Enjoy the silence (and warm).

Rana said...

*sending peaceful and productive thoughts*

BrightBoy said...

My heart jumped when I saw "Southern State," because I thought you meant my Southern State, but alas you go farther south than me.

There actually is a monastery near me. When it gets a little warmer I will be sure to visit.

RageyOne said...

safe travels. enjoy the warmth.

Anonymous said...

I hope you get what you want and need from your week (not least warmth!).

Unknown said...

No! You didn't already come through Cincy did you? I've been hoping you would let me know when you did...

Yankee, Transferred said...

Silence? What's that? I could use some. Soak it all in.

jo(e) said...

Julieunplugged: I flew into Atlanta last night and am heading to a monastery in Georgia. I haven't come to Cincinnati yet -- I'll be sure to be in touch with you if I do. After all, you've promised to pose naked for the blog ....

Anonymous said...

Sounds perfect!

Sue said...

Enjoy the warmth and the silence.

kathy a. said...

well, enjoy the silence, anyway. sounds like there is unexpected snow down georgia way -- which may prove entertaining, since it might not seem so cold to you.

Unknown said...

Phew. Relief swept over her... oh wait! Naked? Better get my workouts going again. :)

Anonymous said...

Well, so much for that warm weather you were hoping for... I live near Atlanta and we got several inches of snow yesterday, and it's supposed to be in 30s all week. Hopefully you've gone to Savannah or something.