July 11, 2005

Back at home, almost ....

After nine days of camping, I was looking forward to two things: taking a hot shower and sleeping in a bed with sheets and a mattress. I came home yesterday evening rested and relaxed, ready to enjoy the luxuries of home. It didn't take us long to unpack: Boy in Black put the tents in the garage, I unloaded the food from the ice chest, and Spouse began sorting the piles of laundry. We were looking forward to a relaxing evening.

Spouse started off for the video rental store, with the idea that we could have a romantic evening at home watching a movie. He returned in moments, writhing in pain. I never did get a chance to take that shower. We ended up spending a long sleepless night in the emergency room, where tests confirmed the presence of kidney stones. Twelve hours later, we've returned home with lots of pain medication for Spouse. It looks like a tough couple days ahead for him. And I am back to being an overtired zombie ....

15 comments:

timna said...

the only possible consolation is that it didn't happen during the camping?

Liz Miller said...

Yowtch.

Hugs to you all. And the wisdom of my stepfather (2-time kidney-stone sufferer) "These too shall pass."

Scrivener said...

Oh no! Sympathies for Spouse, sounds terrible.

Prof. Goose said...

I've had them. They are absolutely horrible... my best to Spouse...

Ianqui said...

So sorry to hear it! I hope it's over soon.

Anonymous said...

Poor Spouse! My best wishes to him, and I hope he feels better soon! (And that you get some sleep!

Phantom Scribbler said...

Oh, poor spouse! And poor tired you. I hope it ends quickly, for everyone's sake.

Unknown said...

Oh, gosh, what a rude re-entry!
I hope he feels better soon.

Rana said...

Oh, no! My dad went through those -- on a trip no less!

So huge sympathies to Spouse, and also for you for not getting your sleep and shower. Let's hope the horrid things make their way out quickly, with minimal fuss.

BrightStar (B*) said...

welcome back. I wish you spouse the least amount of pain. My spouse has had them. He said it's like giving birth. I say, I wouldn't know, but I think it might not be like giving birth. I hope the stones pass soon. I hope you got some sleep, too.

Suzanne said...

Oh, no! Wishing safe passage to the stones and quick relief for Spouse.

RussianViolets said...

Oh wow, what a way to return to "normal." My father gets these, and he claims that the pain is excruciating. I hope that he recovers soon and that you keep your sanity in the meantime

jo(e) said...

Thanks everyone for all the sympathetic thoughts. I think at this point the worst is over .... but of course we won't know for sure until tomorrow's cat scan. But Spouse seems to be out of pain for now.

What Now? said...

I'm so sorry to hear Spouse's bad news, and I hope that he's better in a couple of days. Thank goodness it didn't happen until you all were back home; as bad as his pain must be, how much worse it would be if he couldn't be at home in his own bed. And I hope that, once he's better, you'll be able to recapture some of the relaxation from your trip.

Auto Angel said...

Buy mattress with free 24 hr delivery.