July 25, 2005

Wish you were here

Daughter was in Big Midwestern City this weekend, going to a concert that featured 60 bands and lasted two days. I figured that she would have her cell phone off during the concert and did not expect to hear from her. But yesterday, the phone rang, and I picked it up to hear loud music pouring forth, a song that sounded familiar to me since it is one that our household boy band plays often. I could hear Daughter yelling into the phone: "Put the boys on!"

I handed the phone off to my son, who listened to the whole song, smiling. He couldn't talk to Daughter - there is no way she could have heard him - but I could tell he was pleased that she was thinking of him. The same thing happened again today. My sons all grabbed different phone in the house and happily listened to a concert song from hundreds of miles away. At the end of the song, they hung up, since two-way communication was not at all possible.

I tried to picture the scene at the concert. Thousands of people crammed altogether in a big outdoor park in blistering hot weather, everyone dumping water over their heads, a band playing, and thousands of teenagers calling friends to let them know they were thinking about them during certain songs. How many cell phones were gathered in that one place? I am trying to imagine just how many teenagers scattered across the country got cell phone calls over this weekend, all connected to that one concert.

I could tell that my sons were pleased that their sister was thinking about them, that somehow those phone calls were important to them. I guess it was silly for me to expect that she would be buying postcards ....

13 comments:

Mel said...

Remember when people used to hold up lighters during great songs? Well now they don't allow smoking in most concert venues. But during a great song, there's a zillion little lit-up cell phones held up in the air instead...

BrightStar (B*) said...

my sister has been known to record songs from concerts on my cell phone's voice mail.

excellent that your sons got to connect with her during the concert experience.

Unknown said...

Oh, Mel, that's so funny!
#1 Son keeps home close by with pictures of our dogs on his cellphone. I feel like a dinosaur sometimes...

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet! It sounds like they have a fabulous relationship. :-)

Phantom Scribbler said...

No wonder your sons adore your daughter. She is the ultimate big sister!

Jody Harrington said...

Another reminder that those of us who grew up before the ubiquitous cell phone just don't think about using it in the ways and at the times our children do. I love hearing from my daughters, but am amazed at what they are doing when they call, like walking across campus or shopping and wanting my opinion over the phone or (don't even get me started) driving home. Of course they always swear they are using a hands-free device when they driving and I have to believe them for my own sanity!

Anonymous said...

Family bonds are the ultimate. I am very fulfilled when I see my son's bond. Even though they are grown I missed them while on my recent sabbatical and called them just to say hi...email is good too.

Running2Ks said...

That is so HUGE! Siblings getting together that way--even if they can't hear each other. HUGE!

Yankee, Transferred said...

AWWWWWWWWW, what a great story. I love to watch my kids love each other! Nice family, jo(e)

halloweenlover said...

I love that! I've called my mom from a couple of concerts so that she can hear a favorite song or two also. Summer concerts are the best. What a sweetheart!

Kyla said...

this weekend i recorded a friend's four-month old babling into the "memo" function of my cell phone. very fun the things you can do with cell phones. i'm surprised she didn't send any cell phone photos.

negativecapability said...

My little brother called me from the same concert :) :). Then he sent a text that said "[insert band] was great, thanks for bringing them into my life."

Evie P. said...

freaking awesome.