July 21, 2005

Daughter posing for the blog


When I first began my blog, I wanted it to be my own space. So I chose a pseudonym. And I did not tell anyone in my family or hometown about the blog. Perhaps you have to grow up in a big family and live in the same place your whole life to understand why it is important for me to have my own space, even if it is ironically a public space.

Of course by now, members of my household know about my blog, because I talk about my blog friends and because it is hard to have any privacy when you live in a fairly small space with a whole bunch of people. And I am not a secretive person; I am a talker by nature. But my husband and my sons don’t read my blog. They are willing to respect that space as mine. They are very used to me writing stuff: I am always writing, and that is nothing new.

But one person in my home does read my blog. And that is my Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter. Home from college one day last spring, she borrowed my computer and stumbled upon my blog. She says she knew it was my blog after reading one post.

"Anyone would recognize you," she said, laughing, "Everything you write is true! This is stuff that really happened!"

And I admit that I do like Daughter reading my blog, especially when she is at college. We have had several nice conversations about issues that come up in the blog community.

When we were up at camp, I was taking lots of photos, mostly photos with people’s faces in them, which I would never put on my blog. I only use faceless photos. I had just taken a nice shot of Daughter on the island, when she covered her face with her hands and said, "Here. Go ahead and take one for your blog." So here is my daughter, posing for the blog.

20 comments:

Mona Buonanotte said...

I'm finding there's a special bond that a mother shares with a daughter, a sort of solidarity or knowing, I can't really describe it. Granted, my girl-child is only 5, but there's a connection there that I don't have with my boy-child...it's different. Your daughter is beautiful! And the fact that she's so supportive of you is lovely! Does she have an interest in posting on your blog?

halloweenlover said...

She is so beautiful! She sounds lovely and I love the idea of having a special connection via blog just with her.

Does she have a blog yet?

Running2Ks said...

She is beautiful. My 4 1/2 year old reads over my shoulder while I blog sometimes--and I have written material down in front of her--I even posted that she made sure I quoted her correctly. I think that bond is wonderful. Your daughter should have a blog :)

Anonymous said...

Thank god it's your daughter. I read the whole post thinking, damn jo(e) looks good, and she has 4 kids!

Daughter #1 once in awhile reads things I show her, but otherwise doesn't I don't think. Bert reads once in awhile. I have 3 friends, my aunt and uncle, my daughter's birth mom, and my mom who read, so yes there is some self-censorship.

St. Casserole said...

Your daughter is beautiful. I love having a daughter who talks with me and with whom I can talk. She doesn't read my blog because of restricted internet use but I tell her what is going on in the community. Tell your daugher we say she is pretty.

Anonymous said...

What a great pic - your daughter is beautiful! (I should say, too, that I think all your pics are great.) What fun that she reads the blog.

bitchphd said...

Hi daughter who reads the blog.

You're gorgeous. I hope you know that. I look back at pictures of myself in my 20s and realize that I had no idea how beautiful I was, so I figured I'd join the chorus in hopes you'll believe us.

And yeah, it sounds like you have a great relationship with your mom.

Rob Helpy-Chalk said...

ok, we now have documentary evidence that your daughter is beautiful, and the whole blog is evidence that she is wonderful. The only part of her name left that needs proving is smart: can you post her SAT scores or perhaps a video of her doing a crossword puzzle in ink?

Yankee, Transferred said...

Older Daughter reads my blog. She loves it. Sometimes she says how wonderful it is to know that I'm out there, talking about how great my girls are.
And this daughter of yours is lovely. Tell her we all said so.

Phantom Scribbler said...

Hi Daughter! Gorgeous photo! And you are pretty damn brave, allowing us all to see you. Thanks!

I must say, we think you and your mom are about as cool as it gets.

Theresa Coleman said...

So pretty! Even with the hands over the face.

purple_kangaroo said...

That's great. BTW, I tagged you for a meme. Feel free to pass on it if you want. :)

RussianViolets said...

She's absolutely gorgeous, Jo(e), and I'm so happy that you and she are close.

Unknown said...

It is very special to have a daughter. I love my boys very much, but it is different with a daughter. Thanks for sharing yours, jo(e).

Anonymous said...

I just love that she's smiling, even though she's covered her face!

BrightStar (B*) said...

I agree -- she's beautiful! Hi, jo(e)'s daughter! I love how the pink of your swimsuit and the blue of water look together.

Sue said...

What a lovely picture! I have two boys, 23 and 21, who have blogs of their own and link to mine.....I don't yet have any pictures...hmmmmm.

Isn't summer grand? Bathing suits, beaches, laughter and family.....that's living!

jo(e) said...

Daughter was in the living room with her laptop so I told her to go read the comments on my blog. I could tell when she got to LisaV's comment because she laughed aloud, and then she laughed again at Rob's comment.

No, she doesn't have a blog. It would be an amazing blog if she had one because she is an incredible writer -- and good at graphic arts as well.

But of course she is a college student. She doesn't need one more way to procrastinate ....

Anonymous said...

How wonderful that you and your daughter share your blogging. Thanks for stopping by at my place. She's a good sport, letting you post her picture!

Marry said...

cool that you both are so close