January 02, 2005

Things People Say that Make Me Want to Scream: Part One

REVEALING USE OF THE FIRST PERSON PLURAL. It drives me crazy when married people talk in the first person plural. I don't mean in logical ways, like saying, "Yesterday, we drove to Boston." I'm talking about things like: "We think this" or "We believe this." With the exception of some alien beings I saw once on a Star Trek episode, thinking and believing are not collective acts. I feel uneasy around married people who have given up their own identities, their own thoughts and beliefs and opinions, to the extent that they talk in first person plural. It's creepy.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

agreed.

~profgrrrrl~ said...

that was me agreeing. :)

Anonymous said...

One of my pet peeves as well. Some people think it's romantic, but I think it means that one person (usually husband dearest) dominates the relationship.

Anonymous said...

OH, I know men who do it too. The ones who are totally whipped. a woman can dominate a marriage too. either way, it is kind of sickening.

Anonymous said...

What's even worse: couples who wear matching t-shirts in public.

Anonymous said...

I just heard this one yesterday. A man announcing, WE are pregnant. Hello?