June 02, 2005

Quiet moment



At least once every summer, we go camping in the mountains. These are the mountains I used to camp in as a small child, the mountains where my Dad worked every summer as a musician during the 1950s, the mountains where my parents met.

We choose a campsite on a small lake where motorboats or jet skis have been banned. I think the restriction on motorized craft has something to do with the nesting loons, but humans as well as loons need quiet time, whether or not we are breeding.

The lake has an island in the middle, with a big rock that is fun to jump off, and we usually canoe out to the island for an afternoon of swimming. In the morning or early afternoon, I like to walk around the edges of the shallow lake, watching minnow through the clear water. Or sometimes I just sit somewhere by the edge of the lake with my journal.

Even young kids need those quiet moments for pondering life. Here's a photo of my son, staring into the water, having a contemplative moment.

7 comments:

RussianViolets said...

I LOVE this picture and so wish I was there; this heat and humidity are driving me nuts -- and it's only been 24 hours. **sigh**

reverendmother said...

Lovely photo.

Have you read or heard about the book "Last Child in the Woods: Saving Our Children From Nature-Deficit Disorder," by Richard Louv? Your posts have been reminding me of that book, because you and your kids seem to *get it* that aimless times out in nature are important.

Yankee, Transferred said...

oooh, this is a great photo. My kids love camping in the mountains, and they are great tent campers-no electronics, they hate RVs, they love the quiet. I miss the Berkshires.

Libby said...

Is it some kind of illusion, produced by your captivating writing, or do you have the coolest life ever?

It's way too early in the morning to think of a less overdone way to say that, but seriously, I want to be you when I grow up.

anbruch said...

This is really a wonderful photo. Actually all your photos are great. But this one is very special.

jwb

Scrivener said...

This is a beautiful picture. I think it is one of the great challenges of modern, urban parenting to find ways to teach kids to deal with, even enjoy, quiet time and to seek out contemplative moments. It scares me to think how hard it is to get moments like these for our kids.

Seriously, how come all of your pictures are so over-the-top gorgeous? I hope you've got stacks of cheesy snapshots and people with their eyes closed and blurry shots somewhere that you're simply choosing not to share with us. Because I am jealous of your photos.

jo(e) said...

Reverendmother: I haven't read the Richard Louv book, but many other writers have made that argument. I wholehearted support the idea that kids and adults need aimless time in nature.

Hypatia: I do have a pretty great life. I am really lucky.