February 18, 2006

Trees I admire

beechtree

One of my favorite trees is far back in my own woods, about a half mile in, near the northeast corner of my property. To get there, I walk through a forest of crooked scotch pines, through a section of mixed hardwoods, and through several groves of old hemlocks. During spring or thaw, I tramp though puddles and climb over fallen trees.

This tree has been hit by lightning. It’s been infested with beetles that killed many of the beech trees around it. Some of the branches are crooked, others seem fused together in odd ways.

It's a tree with scars, a tree that bears the mark of stormy weather, of disease and stress. It's a survivor, a tree that continues to grow, roots firmly in the soil, grey bark still protecting its core, branches reaching up toward sky.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful description. wish I could write like you!

Rana said...

It looks like it's dancing.

CarpeDM said...

Gorgeous. I love what you wrote about it.

I saw a bumper sticker this morning that said "I love trees" and the heart shape was formed by a tree. And then this post. My day is complete.

Hello. My name is Dana and I am a tree hugger (meaning that I literally hug trees, especially one in the parking lot where I work. I have named the tree. His name is Tree. My roommate thinks I'm a complete freak).

Anyway, delurking to tell you (again) that I love your writing. It's very beautiful.

Squirrely Jedi said...

What an amazing picture of an amazing tree. I enjoy reading your stories.

susan said...

I've always loved bare trees (and I always love the glimpses you give of your landscape). This one looks like a dancing ladder.

Yankee, Transferred said...

Did you see the post at Dharma Bums today? You are in synch.
This is a beautiful post and photo.

OneTiredEma said...

This is really beautiful. Sometimes I hate living in a city SO much, even though our building has a "courtyard" and we're close to parks and gardens. It's just not quite so organic...

Anonymous said...

I have favorite trees too. This one is very nice. Lovely post.

zelda1 said...

I live in the mountains and am surrounded by trees, but I miss my oak tree, the one that is in the back yard of my house down in the valley. It was the home to many birds, my most favorite birds were Bob and Bernice, a pair of pigeons. Also, there was a woodpecker who lived there and every morning, while I drank my first cup of coffee, I watched him peck away at the insects. I wondered if the removal of all those little parasites by the woodpecker was appreciated by the oak. Next time I go home, I will take a picture of her and see if I can figure out how to post it on my site. Your tree is lovely. I like the way her branches come together. She looks strong. I hope she has many more decades of life left in her.

Leslee said...

What a neat looking tree

listie said...

What a beautiful post and picture. I know what you mean; I love my "thinking tree."