August 25, 2007

While the sun shines

Getting ready for the winter

Nights are getting cool. It feels good to wear jeans again, after a summer in shorts or t-shirt dresses. Already the fall rituals are beginning: my syllabus has been copied, my class lists printed out, my books ordered. Classes start on Monday for my daughter, Boy in Black, and me; my youngest two go back to school right after Labor Day. Gardening stores are selling potted chrysanthemums and bags of tulip and daffodil bulbs. I've driven to the DPW several times to bring back carloads of free mulch for my gardens.

One afternoon this week, Shaggy Hair Boy, With-a-Why, and I moved a stack of firewood into the garage. Carrying the wood one armload at a time, we trudged back and forth in a lopsided circle, the stack in the garage growing higher and higher. We talked as we passed each other, our conversation following the rhythm of our movements. It was a warm day, sunny enough for short sleeves, but the firewood made us think already of winter. We talked about school and holidays and snowboarding.

Even though we live in a house with electricity, only six miles from the nearest grocery store, I still have this instinct in the fall to get in a winter's supply of wood, to stock up on food, to make all kinds of preparations for the cold snowy days ahead of us.

11 comments:

chichimama said...

Yep. We were just talking about firewood this morning. And I have started stocking the freezer and pantry. Fall is one of my favorite times of year, I can't wait!

Good luck with back to school...

Danny Bradfield said...

This weekend in the Sacramento Valley, it has cooled down to the mid 90s... I'm not quite ready to start bringing firewood in just yet. But I did go to the first high school football game of the year last night, a sure sign that fall (whatever the weather) is near.

BerryBird said...

Love the photo of the firewood. That cool stretch of weather this week was a cruel tease. I, too, was happy in my jeans. Today is torturously sticky. Meh.

Anonymous said...

hmm, maybe it's having read laura ingalls wilder's Long Winter? that always makes me want to prepare!

jo(e) said...

Justme: That could be it. I read that book way to many times during my impressionable years.

Kyla said...

Wow. I love that you have actual seasons. We still have a few months of unbearable heat ahead of us, even though school starts Monday. Fall is an illusion here. I can't believe the summer is gone already.

Cathy said...

As a teacher, I have been in school since late July. students here have been in school 16 days. I WISH I could remotely think that Fall was around the corner - it was 92 degrees at 11 pm the other night - whew. The only reminder we are nearing fall is the days are shortening ever so slightly.
Your posting reminds me there is hope for cooler weather.

From a reader who has never experienced snow....

Zhoen said...

Lows in the 60s, highs only 90, I pulled out the jeans too, just because I was sick of HAVING to wear shorts.

Yankee T said...

Hotter than hell here. Still. Lows at night in the 70s. But I hate the cold so much that I can wait until November to use my fireplace. I never miss the weather in the northeast, just the people.

BeachMama said...

Yours is the second post this morning that I have read about getting ready for Fall. I guess I am not willing to give up on summer yet, especially with last years warm Fall I am hoping for more of the same for this year.

Rana said...

It's still hot and humid here, but I do feel the urge to nest, and to snuggle up in fleece.

I try to make do by cuddling the cat, but she's too warm, too!