October 04, 2008

A stormy blogger meet-up

By the lake

He says I tried to drown him. That's not quite true. He did end up soaking wet, but it wasn't really my fault.

When I first started reading blogs, just about four years ago, A Delicate Boy was one of the first blogs I read. So I was excited when Nels told me he was coming to Snowstorm City. He promised to make time for a blogger meet-up. I'd met Nels before actually, at a feminist workshop, but that was years ago, back before I knew what a blog was. This would be the first time we'd meet as bloggers.

I gave Nels time to register for his conference and get a nametag, and then I swooped in and kidnapped him. Surely, nothing going on at those early morning sessions was as important as meeting me.

The sun glinting off the lake when we first arrived at Pretty Colour Lakes. We walked the trail to the farthest possible spot, where we hung around and talked and took photos, and managed to completely ignore the ominous storm clouds even though we were taking pictures of those very clouds. So that's how Nels got to take a hike in what is very typical Snowstorm Region weather, a strong wind and driving rain that came at us sideways.

"See, this is why people here don't bother with umbrellas," I explained helpfully as the slanting lines of rain come across the lake. Luckily, we'd already take our official blogger meet-up photos.

The rain convinced us to put away our cameras, but it didn't stop the stream of talking that continued on as we made our way finally to my car and then to the warm interior of an Italian restaurant, where a perfectly dry waitress led us to a booth. With our hair dripping onto the menus and steam rising from our wet jeans, we ate and talked about our lives. The time went way too fast. Far too soon, it was time to drop Nels back off at his hotel and go take With-a-Why to his piano lesson.

9 comments:

Yankee, Transferred said...

Oh, how wonderful!~I would love to meet Nels. And you!

BrightStar (B*) said...

yay! How fun! Great photo. :)

Gawdess said...

gorgeous shot and I feel like I was in that booth with you, with the steam rising!

Anonymous said...

Look at those fall colors!

Great story. :) I especially laughed about the bit about the umbrellas. It's like that in the Pacific NW too - either it's lots of layers or one waterproof outer one. If the inside's dry, who cares?

Unknown said...

Ha! No cord here for me to upload my photos, but it was great to see you and see the places you call home. I dried off soon enough.

And I'm pretty sure I made the best use of my time here!

duopastorale said...

Amazing to see those fall colours so early!

Leslee said...

He's not naked. I thought people had to pose naked to be on your blog.

LOL! Actually, it's a beautiful picture!

jo(e) said...

Leslee: He told me that the "Naked by the Lake" photos would have to wait until after he gets tenure ....

Nels P. Highberg said...

Oh, yeah, that's me up there at #5. I came back to get the link because I'm writing my entry now.