April 01, 2009

Sun worship

Sun worship

During the heat of the summer, I’m not the kind of person who cares much for sitting in the sun. I’m much more likely to be lying in the deep shade of an oak tree, with a book and a cold drink. Or splashing about in river water.

But in April, after months of snow and ice and slush that accumulates on the floor of my car, I savor every bit of sun. Even through jeans and a fleece, the warmth soaks into me, touching the bones inside me that were cold all winter long.

(Mother took this photo of me at Pretty Colour Lake – after I handed her my camera and told her to take it. She’s a great person to take a walk with because she doesn’t angry when I keep stopping to take photos. She has even been known to encourage such behavior.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those trees. Knowing a spot like that exists, even if I never go there, is immensely reassuring.

Anonymous said...

I'm the same - early spring sun I love but summer heat finds me scurrying for shade.

Unknown said...

I can feel the sun in your words.

Mona Buonanotte said...

Looks like there's some room there...mind if I join you? :)

BrightBoy said...

Where I'm from, snow, no matter how small an amount, is synonymous with winter.

A winter that lasts from October to April must be intense (although when I lived in Native State there were times when it would snow around my birthday, which is nearly halfway through April).

ScienceWoman said...

Looks lovely. I'd probably fall in the water trying to get there though.