January 09, 2011

Quiet spaces

Quiet

Big City Like No Other is a fast-paced, noisy city where vehicles seem to honk their horns constantly, and people on the streets walk very fast. I kept saying to Brooklyn Friend, “So why is that cab honking? I can’t see why he’s honking his horn,” and she’d laugh and shrug.

When we stepped inside the big public library, the hushed atmosphere was a soothing contrast to the busy streets outside. My hands and feet began to get warm again as we roamed the building, admiring the architecture. Brooklyn Friend showed us the reading room where she’d worked on her dissertation. I snapped just one photo before noticing a sign that said, “No photography.” Guiltily, I put my camera away, as we walked back down the stairs to return to the cold night air and busy streets.

Library entrance

9 comments:

Cindy said...

That's a lovely peaceful photo.

elswhere said...

I wrote part of my senior thesis in that reading room. It's a wonderful place.

Tie-Dye Brother-in-law said...

You didn't get a picture of the “No photography” sign?

:-)

(Word verification is "couff". Should I turn my head first?)

Lilian said...

No photography? :( I've never been in there. I need to plan to go. Too bad I won't be able to photograph it. :(

Lilian said...

I should have written down my word verification: ejectere.

Now, it's harystsa

jo(e) said...

Lilian: I think the ban on photography was just in the reading room. People were taking pictures everywhere else in the building.

Tie-Dye Brother-in-law: I of course obediently put away my camera as soon as I saw the sign.

YourFireAnt said...

Where are the naked readers?

o_O

Amber said...

I love that! I really want to go to the library now! I love the energy of quiet, slightly crowded places, especially libraries.

Beautiful pics!

Jeff said...

Looks like a beautiful space