August 18, 2013

The wind at our backs

Paddling

The best morning of the Two Row Wampum trip was a bit windy -- but the wind and tide were both with us. The waves bounced us up and down, splashing water into my face, until I felt like I was on an amusement ride. I kept yelling "Sorry" every time we crashed into another kayak or canoe, and other paddlers would just look back and laugh. We were all having so much fun.

"It's like bumper canoe!" one woman kept saying. It's lovely when the wind and the tide are working with you. We went a couple of miles in record time.

"I feel so much stronger all of a sudden," a woman my age yelled over to me as her canoe went sailing along.

Two kayaks did flip, but our safety paddlers got to them quickly, and by mid-afternoon, we had all arrived safely at the next stop, hungry and eager to share our stories.

3 comments:

Cindy said...

LOVE this photo.

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

Cool photo! What a great experience!

Magpie said...

thanks for writing about this - it sounds like it was a really great experience.