January 12, 2014

Rainy weekend



We've seen some wild swings in the weather so far this year. Last weekend, temperatures kept going below zero, with winds that made it feel far colder. Yesterday, I woke up to the sound of rain. Yes, rain in January! When I looked out the wind, I could see mist rising from the melting snow.

It was just as well. We all had work to do. My daughter, who was home for the weekend, took the kitchen table, spreading out a bunch of research papers next to her laptop. Boy-in Black and With-a-Why set up their matching Alienware computers side by side in front of the fireplace. My husband took the comfy chair, while I sat on the couch with my laptop. We worked mostly in silence, with breaks for food and chatter. (Well, most of us were working. I think With-a-Why was playing Starcraft. He's an undergrad so he won't have much work until classes start tomorrow.)

By evening we were all ready to take a break and watch a movie, but today, we were back at work. Tonight, Boy-in-Black and Beautiful Smart Wonderful Daughter packed up their stuff and moved back to the Castle, which is what we call the little house they rent.

Winter break is over, and the semester has begun.

2 comments:

Tom said...

The weather has been nuts this year. Deep cold one day, rain the next.

Anonymous said...

We're getting the same disappointing weather. I'd rather have a ton of snow than mud. Like our normal mud season isn't long enough? Yuk.