May 04, 2006

Something about May

May might just be my favorite month. It’s a nice relaxed month. The semester has ended, and I can choose what work I want to do. We will get some lovely spring weather – cool sunny days. The snow shovels have been put away. The days will be warm enough for t-shirts and maybe even shorts. The apple blossoms have burst forth, and the lilacs will be blooming soon. May is the month for gardening and yard work and all kinds of things that let me have my hands in the earth. My Wonderful Smart Beautiful Daughter will move back home soon. She and I will do some household projects together – and on sunny mornings, sit outside on the grass drinking smoothies.

But most days, I will have the house to myself. The boys are still in school, my spouse is at work, and my daughter will be doing volunteer work at the women’s shelter. So I can put on the music and belly dance, or sunbathe naked, or call my husband to come home on his lunch hour for leisurely daytime sex. I will have time to write, to meditate, to think. My schedule becomes flexible so I can meet friends for lunch or spend a few hours on the telephone talking to a long distance friend.

I’ll be driving to Camera City one weekend to see Drama Niece star in a play. And I’ll be going to my sister’s house for a graduation party: Red-haired Niece graduates from Snowstorm University this year. I’ll meeting a bunch of my women friends for an annual brunch that involves bringing plants from the garden for a plant exchange. I’ll be going to spring concerts for several of my kids. And the month will end with the first camping trip of the season on Memorial Day weekend.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds so nice. I love May, too.

Anonymous said...

I can't even fathom how much MY husband would enjoy calls for leisurely daytime sex - I'm not going to be prurient and ask if you actually do such things, though!

Professing Mama said...

Isn't daytime sex the best? I enjoy those times so much...

Anonymous said...

lalalalalalalalalalala i can't hear you....
smoothies! smoothies are nice!
Actually it sounds like a sweet life indeed.

jo(e) said...

Anonymous: Of course I do. Everything I put in a blog post is true. But I reserve the right to lie in the comments.

ABD Mom: Yeah, after years of having small children around, you come to appreciate these things.

PPB: No, I wasn't talking about sex. I meant walks! My husband comes home so that we can take walks together. It's nice to take walks together outside in the sunshine on a spring day when you can feel the sunshine on your skin.

Bitty said...

It honestly seems like two weeks ago that you were wrapping up those snowboarding lessons!

I dearly wish my break were one in which I choose my own work. I have so many commitments lined up and then go back to school June 22.

But I will, as always, vicariously enjoy YOUR break!

Phantom Scribbler said...

Excuuuuuuse me, where is the part where you say "and I'll be driving to Boston to meet all my blogger friends that I've been complaining about not meeting for so long?" Huh? Where is it?

Kathryn said...

I love May too....lots of blossom turning the hedgerows white, real warmth to the sun at last, and I had a truly wonderful walk on Wednesday with a new special friend...but I do struggle so with the in between footwear stage. Heavy winter Docs go to bed, but not yet really time for open toed sandals. Any solutions, anyone?

BeachMama said...

May is by far the one of the best month's, all the new beginnings and things springing forth.

You obviously have a little extra reason to enjoy May too ;)

OTRgirl said...

jo(e): every life that has a dismal February deserves a splendid May! Enjoy.

Kathryn: Dansko clogs? High enough to deal with mud, open back starts to feel like a sandal, yet the covered toe keeps you warm?

jo(e) said...

Phantom: Oh, thanks for the reminder. I am going to look at my calendar and see if I can make at trip to Boston actually happen.

Kathryn: I wear sneakers every day. But I suppose you need my kind of wardrobe (t-shirt and jeans) to make that work.

Andromeda Jazmon said...

May is absolutely the best month! I love driving to school in May, when the world is puddle wonderful and bursting with bloom. The school year roller coaster is on the downward roll, and everything is getting better. The days are long enough to garden after dinner and we are outside as much as possible. The whole world smells of lilacs. Yes.