October 13, 2006

The Comfort Meme

Here's the Friday Five meme from the RevGalBlogPals.

1. Comfort beverage: Herbal tea. I put a square of dark chocolate on my tongue, then take a big gulp of hot tea, and let the chocolate melt in my mouth. Mmmm....

2. Comfort chair: I hike back in my woods to a fallen tree, which makes a nice place to sit and think about life.

3. Comfort read: Books written for young people. Especially books written in other time periods, like the Betsy-Tacy books by Maud Hart Lovelace or the Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder.

4. Comfort television/DVD/music: It would never occur to me to turn on the television for comfort. I watch very little television, and even then, only because someone else has turned it on. The only time I can ever remember watching television by myself is on September 11, 2001. I was home alone, and my mother called and told me to put the television on.

I don't really have comfort music either although the CD that I have listened to many times when I am sad is Joni Mitchell's Blue.

5. Comfort companion(s): My husband. He's a really calm, stable person, very comforting and reassuring. And my daughter is wonderful to be around when I am feeling down. But I also can be cheered up my sons, my extended family, my friends. I even get long distance comfort by exchanging emails with Artist Friend or Mirror Friend.

7 comments:

Professing Mama said...

I LOVE the Betsy-Tacy books! I know of so few other people who have ever even heard of the books, let alone read them, that I get very excited when I learn of someone else who loves them!

Yet another sign of your awesomeness. :)

Queen of West Procrastination said...

Oooh, good comfort books. I also read books for young readers as comfort books. Especially ones written by L.M. Montgomery (this drives my best friend crazy, because she wrote her MA thesis on the author, and I treat the books as if you don't have to think to read them).

Patti said...

Today is a good day for comfort! The weather is changing from beautiful sunshine to pelting rain and even hail every 5 minutes. It's cold, and yet I hear the rumble of thunder. I like hot tea, puppies, and Lucy Maude Montgommery's "Ann" books. Our TV is not hooked up to the world, but I love watching DVDs of old TV shows, like Jack Benny or Beverly Hillbillies.

Rae said...

Mmmm... I love "Blue".

ScienceWoman said...

Secretly you are a Midwestern girl at heart - as revealed by your choice of Betsy-Tacy and Laura Ingalls Wilder. Those were among my favorites growing up as were Caddie Woodlawn and Magical Melons - both by Carol Ryrie Brink. Have you read them? I think you'd love Caddie.

YourFireAnt said...

What about comfort clothes? Comfort animal? Comfort activity? Comfort smell? Comfort hairdo? Comfort shape? number? comfort jewelry? Comfort sound? comfort place?

heh heh

FA

Mary Stebbins Taitt said...

I get comfort from friends like YOU!

And from reading your calming and peaceful blog! Mary :-D