October 04, 2006

Early morning on the lake

morningfog

In the mountains, we stayed at an inn that was so old that the floors in the hallways were buckled and uneven, like the weird floors at a funhouse that make you feel silly when you walk. And the plumbing, added years after the inn was built, was sometimes suspect. But the big fireplace in the lobby, the comfy chairs and mulled cider that awaited us when we came in to sit near the fire, and the magnificent view of a mountain lake made any of those minor flaws seem inconsequential.

When I stay overnight somewhere, especially if I am on the water, I love to get up early in the morning to walk the shoreline. No one else was around at dawn as I walked past empty docks and cottages that have been closed for the winter. It was chilly -- I was wearing both a fleece and my winter coat -- and my sneakers were soon wet from the dew. A thick fog was draped across the mountains, muting the reds and oranges, a soft landscape that grew more brilliant as the sun rose.

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful picture!

sheepish said...

Unbelievably gorgeous picture!

YourFireAnt said...

Early morning, the time of walkers, writers, time of pure quiet and stillness. And mist - food of the imagination. Water, endlessly fascinating and entrancing. A little piece of heaven.

What else could one possibly want.

Anonymous said...

Wow! Why am I stuck in f$%&ing Oklahoma????????

Yankee, Transferred said...

So unbelievable. I love the northeast. It will always be my home, in my heart.

kabbage said...

I grew up in western Pennsylvania. Much as I love the Pacific Northwest where I live now, I see pictures like yours and think "we have too many freakin' fir trees! Need more color!" Thanks for sharing.

Jennifer (ponderosa) said...

Beautiful!!!!!!!!

BeachMama said...

That picture is priceless. Great job and such a beautiful place to be.

Kyla said...

I'm so envious. I wish I could be some place so strikingly beautiful with nothing to do but soak it all in.

undine said...

Too beautiful. These pictures made me homesick.

Scrivener said...

You take the best pictures!

Anonymous said...

That is just so gorgeous.

Sarah Sometimes said...

Stunning pictures, both of them. I'm going to "the country" (connecticut) this weekend and hope I will see some beautiful colors also....

Mona Buonanotte said...

I could live in that picture. Such a feeling of deja vu....

Anonymous said...

I love the fall colors. It is so peaceful. Lovely picture!

Marni said...

Your picture is beautiful. Makes me relax just looking at it.

BerryBird said...

What a spectacular picture, jo(e).

jo(e) said...

therona: In reality, I am planning to run for Dictator of the World.

YourFireAnt said...

Well, I already AM Queen of the Universe and All Beyond.

FA

Bitty said...

How come when I take pictures of gorgeous places they don't come out like THAT?

Wow...for a moment there I thought the water was moving. Stunning.

Squirrely Jedi said...

What a beautiful view. I love October.

Anonymous said...

Can I just say that this, and the photo on your post just prior to this, is making me sooooooooooo jealous? I miss northern falls! Such gorgeous colors!

Jan said...

Awesome photo!!!

Marie said...

Could almost make me think getting up early has merit.

Bad Alice said...

How gorgeous. I have fall foliage envy.